Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I compiled my first kernel today... but...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: I compiled my first kernel today... but... Reply with quote

will gcc have automatically made use of the extended instruction sets available, or do I have to specify this somehow?
I tried to run 'nake menuconfig' and it wouldn't, it printed errors from checklist.c and dialog.h about expected '=' or ';' or ':' or 'asm' before 'functionname'and expected ')' before '*'
I am looking into xmenuconfig (googling and seeing if there is a package for it) as I remember this from mandrake, anyone know where to find this in suse 10.1?
The kernel forms the base of any dependancy tree, right? so if I start by building an optimised kernel, I should be able to work my way up from there?
pins
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: RE: I compiled my first kernel today... but... Reply with quote

ahhh... ok, it has changed to 'make xconfig'.....
now I just need to read and google all the options. ;p
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: RE: I compiled my first kernel today... but... Reply with quote

Howdy,

I know it's a late post but thought it might still be useful ...

Make a bakup of the '.config' file that is generated and remove the 'dot' from the beginning of the name. When/if you do a 'make mrproper' all the files with 'dot' prefixes will be removed. That will allow you to reinvoke the configuration using an existing config file as a base. It will need to be copied to its' original 'dot' format first of course Smile. Handy, as it is a long configuration at the best of times, but from scratch it's even longer. It's a good idea to go over it a few times too, as there is a lot to consider and by saving that file you can go over the configuration again later or carry it over to further compiles.

>>
will gcc have automatically made use of the extended instruction sets available
>>

I think you must mean cpu features. The default config will be for a Pentium 3 i think, so, depending on what you set the processor type to, flags will be generated by configure for your cpu. You can also manually add things to 'CFLAGS' in the Makefile' . Best not to go to much the rats there, just an '-O2 -march=xxxx -tune=xxx' would do it. But that will basically be automated by the cpu selection anyway.

One thing i think people miss though, if you look at the top of the Makefile, you will see a number of parameters that denote the kernel version. The 4th one ...

EXTRAVERSION =

is usually left blank, unless the distro has decided to use it, or a maintainer patch has been applied where it will be set with a string to denote the patch. Such as something like ...

EXTRAVERSION = -ck11

You can add to that manually ie;

-ck11-0
-ck11-1
-ck11-something

You end up with a total version string like 2.6.16-ck11-something.

If you append that to the kernel name and the System.map files before copying them over to /boot, you can have multiple compiles of the same kernel available. In case you want to test some option variations,

such as ...

System.map-2.6.16-ck11-3
bzImage-2.6.16-ck11-3

System.map-2.6.16-ck11-4
bzImage-2.6.16-ck11-4

You will need to select 'Y' for 'Local version - append to kernel release' in the 'General setup' config branch at the top of the config tree to get the mapping..

I don't think the auto install covers that though, ( 'make install' )

jm
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: