Raindrops...

Discuss LXF Team Blog entries here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Raindrops...

Postby Nigel » Wed May 24, 2006 7:45 am

I think the reason that men don't use umbrellas is that we aren't trained to do so when young. When I was growing up, girls seemed to carry umbrellas and take the bus to school, whilst boys rode their bikes and missed out on the umbrella control practice.

I carry one (sometimes), but hate using it - an umbrella big enough to be any good at keeping the rain off is unwieldy and difficult to fit into a (laptop) bag.
Also, I find them completely unmanageable in anything other than a light breeze, especially if walking into the wind - either I have to hold it at such an angle that I can't see where I'm going or it is forever blowing inside out.
I once had one blow completely off of it's handle and fly half-way up Park Lane, leaving me pathetically holding the handle and getting very wet :(

And isn't it strange how if you buy a cheap grotty umbrella that isn't much good you seem to be able to keep it forever, but if you buy a decent one you lose it within weeks... or is that just me ?
Nigel
LXF regular

RE: Raindrops...

Postby jjmac » Wed May 24, 2006 10:42 am

(grin) wish i had one a few weeks ago, i probably wouldn't have caught a head/sinus cold. All gone now. It's the light rain that is worse. It fools a person into thinking that they don't need to cover up ... while their socking it all up.

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Postby pins » Wed May 24, 2006 3:59 pm

my problem with umbrellas is that most people are just the right amount shorter then me that the ends of the metal struts are at my eye level.
I carry an umbrella when I go out with my g/f cos she demands to be protected, otherwise, I don't use one cos it's only water.
pins
LXF regular

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 24, 2006 4:52 pm

The last time I used an umbrella for any extended length of time was when I was a swaggering sixth former (de rigeur for yer genuine prefect), which is a good few years ago now. I do keep one in the car, but I don't remember having used it in the last three years (when I got the car).
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby towy71 » Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 pm

I use my Port Meirion Golfing umbrella a lot, I don't play golf though :lol:
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby nelz » Wed May 24, 2006 7:44 pm

Do you also tug your forelock and say "be seeing you" to everyone you meet?
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Raindrops...

Postby Rhakios » Wed May 24, 2006 7:53 pm

nelz wrote:Do you also tug your forelock and say "be seeing you" to everyone you meet?

If you're referring to "The Prisoner", I was under the impression they gave the I-Spy gesture, rather than tugging their forelocks - hence the "be seeing you" bit. :roll:
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

RE: Re: RE: Raindrops...

Postby nordle » Thu May 25, 2006 12:02 am

Brolly, even the word sounds girly. :)

As a mass generalisation here goes, blokes don't use brollies because:

1. Can't be bothered, sheer lazyness, the hassle of using one out weighs the hassle of not. Most blokes don't have £75+ hair cuts with expensive makeup on their face ready to run into a mess and ruin clothes as well as being laughed at for rest of the week.

2. They are seen as accessories, now we know the ladies luv to accessorise (so do blokes, but only if its electric). So again, to avoid dropping man points accessorising must be kept in check.

3. Sometimes it's nice just to get wet. Just to walk in the rain through town past the over built one-way system with drivers stuck in fuming traffic, past the speed bumps, sign posts, flashing screens telling you to slow down, past the no smoking campaign posters, past the people queueing out the bank at lunch time trying to deal with the solitary cashier (the rest replaced my machines that don't work or understand questions). Past the fast food joint where the hydroginsed, re-constituted, re-gurgitated crap is rapped in five layers of plastic, past the new small town pestco supermarket store which has sprung up because the small shops closed 10 years ago under pressure from the supermarket superstore which now has in/out town high/off street stores.

Yeah, sometimes its nice to walk in the rain and wind and get thoroughly soaked, and take pleasure from remembering that as a race, we haven't got full control over everything on this planet :)

PS. Please ignore the spelling, as you do usually, my eyes hurt and I can't be arsed to click through the checks.
nordle
LXF regular

Postby jjmac » Thu May 25, 2006 6:59 am

aaaarrh chooooo (grin)

jm
Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed !
http://counter.li.org

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
jjmac
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Raindrops...

Postby towy71 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:17 am

nordle wrote:Yeah, sometimes its nice to walk in the rain and wind and get thoroughly soaked, and take pleasure from remembering that as a race, we haven't got full control over everything on this planet.

I don't like getting soaked to the skin here in the UK because it's cold before it starts raining and it's cold when it stops raining, my old bones creak in the cold and wet!
In the tropics its lovely to stand in the rain cos it's hot before and after ;-)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Raindrops...

Postby spottedcat » Thu May 25, 2006 7:59 am

You forgot something, towy71 - it's cold while it's raining too. Which is why I do use an umbrella, but I prefer one of those little stubby jobs that don't poke other pedestrians' eyes out. A few years ago I had lost/broken/had stolen my little umbrella and went into M&S to get another one. I looked at the display and thought to myself, "They're all black. I hate black. It looks like I'm going to a funeral. Why can't I have something like a golfing umbrella, but small?" All the brightly coloured ones were Ladies' ones, and obviously so. No good. I wanted something colourful but manly. You know - plain royal blue, or burgundy. Something like that.

I went into Debenhams - all the umbrellas were black. Somewhere else - same. Eventually I ended up in BHS where I got into conversation with the nice lady behind the counter. I recounted my woes. Said she:

"Ah, but if you could get coloured umbrellas, you'd have to have several."
"Why?" :?
"So that it would match your outfit."

Never thought of that. :) That's why women carry umbrellas.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Raindrops...

Postby M0PHP » Thu May 25, 2006 8:13 am

spottedcat wrote:"Ah, but if you could get coloured umbrellas, you'd have to have several."
"Why?" :?
"So that it would match your outfit."

Clever marketing ploy to get people to buy an umbrella for every outfit? 8)
M0PHP
LXF regular

Re: RE: Re: RE: Raindrops...

Postby Nigel » Thu May 25, 2006 8:23 am

nordle wrote:Sometimes it's nice just to get wet. Just to walk in the rain through town past the over built one-way system with drivers stuck in fuming traffic, past the speed bumps, sign posts, flashing screens telling you to slow down, past the no smoking campaign posters, past the people queueing out the bank at lunch time trying to deal with the solitary cashier (the rest replaced my machines that don't work or understand questions). Past the fast food joint where the hydroginsed, re-constituted, re-gurgitated crap is rapped in five layers of plastic, past the new small town pestco supermarket store which has sprung up because the small shops closed 10 years ago under pressure from the supermarket superstore which now has in/out town high/off street stores.

Yeah, sometimes its nice to walk in the rain and wind and get thoroughly soaked, and take pleasure from remembering that as a race, we haven't got full control over everything on this planet

Sounds like the opening to a Raymond Chandler novel... you don't write "Noir" fiction by any chance, do you ? :)
Nigel
LXF regular

Re: RE: Raindrops...

Postby nelz » Thu May 25, 2006 9:55 am

Rhakios wrote:If you're referring to "The Prisoner", I was under the impression they gave the I-Spy gesture, rather than tugging their forelocks - hence the "be seeing you" bit. :roll:

I've no idea what that gesture was, but then I've no real idea of anything else that was going on in that program.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby emyr42 » Thu May 25, 2006 7:01 pm

I have a rather nice M&S dark blue tartan umberella. It's only about 4" across, so probably a one person umberella. I like using it.

Both my girlfriend and I teld to each have out own umbrellas when we go anywhere in the rain, so it does kinda spoil the moment... but she is about 8 inches shorter than me, so in a side-wind, she would get a bit were the umberella held at my height. :D
OpenSUSE 10.2, WinXPHome
AMD Sempron 2400, 512MB DDR333, Twin 60GB Deathstars
emyr42
LXF regular

Next

Return to LXF Blog Comments