Sony VAIO Picture Book - comments?

For discussing Linux compatible (or not) devices

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Sony VAIO Picture Book - comments?

Postby kevanf1 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:49 pm

Has anybody had experience of running Linux on the Sony VAIO Picture Book notebook? These are the tiny 10 inch screen beauties. They have very little RAM as standard - 64mb - but they can take up to 196mb The hard drive is 12gb which, for the size of the PC is fine because let's face it you are hardly likely to be using this in anger. I'm thinking along the lines of Damn Small Linux due to the 64mb RAM. I would like to upgrade in the future but, RAM for this model is very, very expensive :cry:

So, any comments? Any experience?

Oh, I was given this little PC :D and I hate to say it but Win 98 se runs lovely on it..... ooer.... I'd still much, much sooner it was running Linux though.
kevanf1
LXF regular

RE: Sony VAIO Picture Book - comments?

Postby towy71 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:10 pm

I have no experience of that machine but I think vector linux should run in its slacky goodness on that hardware.
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby spottedcat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:47 pm

I couldn't find the minimum RAM requirements for this, but Xubuntu might be worth considering. I've just installed the newly-released Dapper version on an elderly Compaq Presario with, admittedly, 155 mb * of RAM and it runs much better than Ubuntu did. Much lighter desktop, but looks good.

* Odd figure, I know. But that's what the BIOS is telling me.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby Nigel » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:16 pm

155Mb - at a guess that's 160Mb (128 + 32) minus 5Mb for on-board graphics ? Still an odd number, though.
Nigel
LXF regular

Postby spottedcat » Fri Jun 02, 2006 9:25 pm

Yes, of course. Just checked again with the power supply plugged in. The battery is completely knackered. 640kb system, 155 extended - leaving 4mb for graphics. Only had about 2 nanoseconds to read what was on the screen first time before the battery died. :D

Edit BTW, Xubuntu seems to be hamster-powered.
spottedcat
LXF regular

Postby kevanf1 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:35 pm

Ok, cheers everyone. I've used Vector in the past and Zenwalk (which used the Xfce desktop like Xubuntu does) so I'm sort of familiar with it. I found Ubuntu Lite also. Which is Ubuntu but even lighter than Xubuntu as it uses the IceWM. There's obviously DSL which I shall try on a USB stick first.

I'll let you all know how I get on...
kevanf1
LXF regular

Return to Hardware