Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Glitchy playbak in Amarok

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

Hi I am using Amarok 1.2.3 on KDE 3.4 and I am experiencing glitchy stuttering playback on my mp3 collection. Am using aRTs engine, my soundcard is fine when i play the test sounds or when loggin in/notification sounds.

I was using Mandriva 10.2 with Amarok 1.2.2 on KDE 3.3 and there were no glitches whatsoever. I did notice that it had more engines installed than my current version (1.2.3 on KDE 3.4)

have also experienced this problem on another computer with the same software but differen't HW

does anyone have any ideas why this may be ?

Mike Smith Smile
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

One thing that might help is if you increase the audio buffer, unfortunately I am not running KDE anymore so I can't give exact instructions, Its somewhere in the KDE Kontrol Centre, under the sound server options. Increasing the buffer size will smooth out play back but you may find that songs are a bit laggy. Alternatively you could choose to use the Xine or Gstreamer engine in Amarok and bypass aRTs all together which IMHO has always been a crappy daemon.

Hope this helps,

Dave.
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

tried that, made buffer bigger/smaller/no-realtime all were glitchy, got glitchier as i moved away from the median setting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

Hi! try to change your buffer to real-time, then on configure your desktop change your sound engine to Open Linux Sound System. On amarok change the sound engine to arts
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:36 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

sound engine is arts, realtime is enabled, will check if im using Open sound system ...
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

my work machine is happy with this config, will try at home to see if it solves the problem there. thanks
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

Um, I did notice that when i was using Amarok 1.2.3 it had Xine and Gstreamer installed alon with Arts, I used Xine on Mandriva, but now in version 1.2.3 under Kubuntu, it only has aRTs support, I briefly looked through my installable SW but i found that Xine wasnt on my list only Amarok-libs or similiar. I would rather use Xine or Gstreamer but I dont know what to do to get them ? apt-get ?
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

root@Kubuntu:/home/mikes # apt-get install amarok-xine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package amarok-xine
root@Kubuntu:/home/mikes # apt-get install xine
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Couldn't find package xine
root@Kubuntu:/home/mikes #

apparently not - lol
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Glitchy playbak in Amarok Reply with quote

opensound has solved the problem, cheers all Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: