Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

intell pro/wireless 2200bg

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fishpoo222

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: intell pro/wireless 2200bg Reply with quote

im having real trouble gettin the drivers for the wireless network card built in up and runnning on my laptop . everythings fine untill I try and install the 80211bg framework which the drivers need. this is whats on my console when i try and make it:

get-linux:~/ieee80211-1.1.6 # make
Checking in /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-xen/build/ for ieee80211 components...

grep: /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-xen/build//.config: No such file or directory
grep: /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-xen/build//include/linux/autoconf.h: No such file or directory
make -C /lib/modules/2.6.16.13-4-xen/build M=/root/ieee80211-1.1.6 MODVERDIR=/root/ieee80211-1.1.6 modules
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.13-4-obj/i386/xen'
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `modules'. Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.16.13-4-obj/i386/xen'
make: *** [modules] Error 2

can some one please help because i havnt got a clue

if its relevent im running suse 10.1 on an acer travelmate 4500 i think the card is called intell pro/wireless 2200bg but im not entirely sure and ive been following instructions from
http://susewiki.org/index.php?title=Setting_up_Intel_2200bg_wireless_cards

thankyou

David
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: RE: intell pro/wireless 2200bg Reply with quote

I find that wiki quite extraordinary. I have a Sony Vaio laptop with the Intel 2200BG, and the wireless worked absolutely and completely out of the box (including WPA encryption) with both SuSE 10.0 and 10.1. All I had to do was go into YaST, networking, and set the detected wireless card up for DHCP and put in my ESSID and WPA key. After that it worked more reliably than in Windows.

But I think we need to establish that you do have the Intel 2200BG chipset and not something else. Open a terminal and type 'lspci' (without the quotes). You might have to have root priveleges - I can't check; I'm not in SuSE at the moment. Either su to root or type 'sudo lspci'. This is the appropriate line you are looking for (or something similar):

Quote:
0000:06:04.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 2200BG (rev 05)

I got that while in Ubuntu but the SuSE line should be the same if you have the same wireless chipset. If you don't see the line with 2200BG in it, look for a line with 'wireless' and/or '802.11' and post back
fishpoo222

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it deffinatly is the 2200bg
and... i tried setting up in yast and it connects to my network but... i cant get at the web when i try to open firefox i stuck in the essid and the key and i made sure it was actualy connected using kinternet but no internet access

any suggestions?
spottedcat
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can connect to your network, but you can't access the web from firefox, this might be a problem with IPv6. Try this. Open Firefox. Type 'about:config' in the firefox address bar (without the quotes). Now 'ipv6' in the filter - again without the quotes. You should be seeing 'network.dns.disableIPv6'. Double-click on 'false' - it should change to 'true'. Now close down firefox and restart it. If you can now browse the web, your problem was down to IPv6. If not, there's something else the matter
fishpoo222

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, still wont work
fishpoo222

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its o.k now i just reinstalled the os so i had a fresh start. then i had to get the firmware but after that everything worked perfectly
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: