nvidia + kernel source + up2date = nada

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

nvidia + kernel source + up2date = nada

Postby Lancer » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:31 am

I'm afraid I can't be overly specific here becaus ethe computer I'm trying to upgrade is at school where I work and I'm currently sitting at home. Still, someone might have seen something similar and be able to help.

After running up2date and synaptic to grab everything on Fedora core 2, I decided to download / install the Nvidia drivers. When I do this I get an error about not finding the kernel-source. I meake sure kernel-source rpm is installed. Fine, I use --kernel-source-location flag and it then comes up with more errors trying to explain that different flags are set from my 2.6.x source and my actual kernel (or something like that).

...No problem installing nvidia on my computer at home though. I decided to leavfe the computer compiling a custom kernel, but I suspect the new kernel will probably also report the same. Anyone have a hint on what the problem might be?
Lancer
LXF regular

RE: nvidia + kernel source + up2date = nada

Postby nordle » Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:05 pm

Lancer, I thought this was an official problem with 2.6 kernel between something like 2.6.8 and 2.6.11
Could be wrong, but there were definite patches in the ck patchset which were specifically for problems with nvidia drivers. Maybe it wasn't fixed in the kernel, but maybe nvidia fixed in their latest release, or maybe its totally un-related :)

You can see the nvidia patch which used to be used, the more I think about it Im sure nvidia sorted their drivers out with the latest version. But Im sure I had the same error in the recent(ish) past, can't find kernel sources (which was solved by using ck/cko)

http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.11/
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Lancer » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:11 am

I think you may haved identified the problem as my kernel is 2.6.10-1.771_FC2. However, trying the latest Nvidia drivers did not fix the issue. I compiled a fresh kernel from cources, but "make install" failed due to a missing dir (?)

Your page, http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.11/ has a lot of files. How do I know which one to use and what to do with it?
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:00 pm

Hi Lancer, there's only two nvidia patches in that directory (each for specific versions), so you only need apply one. I was thinking that actually you would not use them straight, but just open them up to see if the lines in the patches alread exist in your current kernel source, to rule out if that would actually help.

Ironically I just updated a boat load of packages myself and suffered a failed nvidia install. Hopefully a fresh kernel will fix the problem, if not I'll be asking you if can tell me how you fixed yours :)

nv.c: In function `nv_post_event':
nv.c:2931: error: parse error before "unsigned"
nv.c:2948: error: parse error before "unsigned"
nv.c: In function `nv_get_event':
nv.c:2965: error: parse error before "unsigned"
nv.c:2986: error: parse error before "unsigned"
nv.c: In function `nv_start_rc_timer':
nv.c:3199: error: `CONFIG_X86_HZ' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[1]: *** [nv.o] Error 1
make: *** [module] Error 2
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
I think, therefore I compile
nordle
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:13 pm

yep, new kernel compile got mine sorted....
nordle
LXF regular

Postby Lancer » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:27 am

So then, out of...

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6111-1132076.diff
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6629-1201042.diff

...which would be the one to use for kernel 2.6.10-1.771_FC2?

Does it matter that http://ck.kolivas.org/patches/2.6/2.6.10/ has no available Nvidia patches?
Lancer
LXF regular

Postby nordle » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:11 pm

Just open NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6629-1201042.diff in a text editor just to see which sections it was changing, then look at those parts within the FC kernel source to see if its the same/different.

Which version of the NVIDIA drivers are you attempting to load, I just noticed that they snuck out a new version recently 7664

The other thing which caused a few errors around that time, was the 8k kernel stack, although the latest drivers I thought were supposed to be passed that problem.
I've just check my own install, and its running the old 4k stack, but anyway, here's some more info that may be of use:
http://tinyurl.com/9wgfs

Having said that, I'd check out the stack thing first, the patch is small, but long enough to be a pain to check through, too much hassle really, but other than that Im out of suggestions....
nordle
LXF regular

Return to Help!