Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Net access options

View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Net access options Reply with quote

Lo all,

I'm planning to get Internet access at my flat, and looking for recommendations. Currently it looks like I'll have to:

1) Pay to get the phone line activated
2) Pay a line rental fee
3) Pay monthly broadband fee

There seems to be a few bundle options to make this simpler. I don't need fast access nor will I be downloading petabytes of stuff -- just want regular access. Maybe I could get one of those unlimited mobile phone data things and link it to my laptop with Bluetooth.

Am I missing some much simpler solution? Perhaps I can lay some cat5 cable from LXF Towers to my flat...

Mike
Steogede
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Net access options Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Maybe I could get one of those unlimited mobile phone data things and link it to my laptop with Bluetooth.

You mean the Vodafone Mobile Connect things? Upto 1 GB a month unlimited access Rolling Eyes . They say that if you use over a 1 GB a month, they will warn you and if you continue you to use more than a GB they will move you to a different package. They don't say which package nor do they say that they will inform they will ask you or even inform you. I can just see it now, the first month you get a bill for 40 and a warning letter telling you that you used 1001GB, second month you use 1001GB and get a bill for 776.

I was offered a free Vodafone mobile connect PCMCIA card when I bought my laptop. I steered clear because it looked like a great way to get a mortgage (that is, you would need one to pay the bill).

M-Saunders wrote:

Am I missing some much simpler solution? Perhaps I can lay some cat5 cable from LXF Towers to my flat...

Possible options
  1. Get a couple of big outdoor WiFi antenae
  2. Move into LXF Towers.
  3. Work from home and get Future to pay for the it all.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Net access options Reply with quote

If your area has cable, then you can have that without phone if you want, it would be slightly cheaper. In my area the basic package is 17.99 per month and you aren't stuck with the addition of a BT line rental as you would be if you went for ADSL.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: RE: Re: Net access options Reply with quote

What did you discide on ?

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: RE: Re: Net access options Reply with quote

Still looking. One mobile provider was doing a laptop data card type thing, but apparently it blocks all other ports than 80. Not that cheap either, but at least it would save a lot of hassle.

Basically I just want to buy a box that has some internet in it -- six month's worth. But it looks like I'll have to go with the whole line rental business. Grrr.

M
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Net access options Reply with quote

Keep delaying long enough and those six months will be up and you won't need to bother.

Another problem solved. Next!

Smile
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Net access options Reply with quote

You could always try capturing some of the pigeons that plague most town centres these days and try to set up an rfc1149 link to LXF Towers...
hyweljones

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Net access options Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:

How far away from LXF towers are you? If I remember right cat5 is only effective up to 300 metres (please correct me if I'm wrong!) before needing a hub/switch/repeater type thingy to prevent signal loss.

Seriously, a friend of mine got a fairly decent deal with orange. Contract mobile phone, home landline and internet connection in one. Can't remember the details but I think it was a pretty good offer.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: