Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

Solaris by default has a true "sh" shell.
Linux by default seems to have the sh shell as link to the bash shell.

If I want to write a truely portable script, I would like to ensure that it is "sh" compatible, and does not use any of the extra features from bash.

Can anyone advise of a way of writing a true sh script on linux, that does not seem to come with a true sh shell?
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: RE: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

google??
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

Actually, Solaris has several shells available, including bash. It's installed by default with Solaris-10, although it may not be available for previous versions.
So if you write a bash script and make sure it has the line
Code:
#!/bin/bash

at the top, it should work fine on Linux and Solaris-10 (and OS-X).

Prior to Solaris-10, if I wanted a portable shell script I would use csh - that was the default on some old versions of Unix and appears to be universally available still.

Nigel.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

When bash is executed through the sh link, it behaves as sh. I generally write scripts with a /bin/sh shebang line unless it uses something bash-specific.
pc

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: RE: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. The solaris is version 9 and bash is not I believe a default.

I didn't realise that bash through an sh link behaves like sh. How does it do that? How does it know it being called through a link with the name "sh" and so behaves differently?

Quick look at man bash gives:
If bash is invoked with the name sh, it tries to mimic the startup
behavior of historical versions of sh as closely as possible, while
conforming to the POSIX standard as well.

Guess I should have read the help more thoroughly, apologies.

So the simple answer seem to be to start the script with:

#!/bin/sh

and on linux it will interpret it as "true" sh, even though /bin/sh is a link to /bin/bash.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

pc wrote:
I didn't realise that bash through an sh link behaves like sh. How does it do that? How does it know it being called through a link with the name "sh" and so behaves differently?

Because each program is passed the name it was called with as its first argument. Write a shell script that contains "echo $0", make a couple of symlinks to it and run them to see what happens.
Steogede
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

pc wrote:

Did no one ever tell you bash is omniscient?
pc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Write true sh (rather than bash) script on linux Reply with quote

nelz,

Thnaks for the explanation. I did indeed create a script and a soft link to that script. $0 was the script name when run directly, and the link name when run via the link. Previously I had taken $0 to always be the script name, which I can see now is not always the case.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: