newbie needs help

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

newbie needs help

Postby johnboy1967 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:05 pm

installed ubuntu from lxf dvd,so far so good,trying to follow installing from tarball advice in mag but have a prob.cd to the direc you want to unpack so i type in cd home and get no file or directory.as you can tell from the dumb question i am a complete linux newbie.if i unpack it to home would i still put mnt/cdrom/desktop in the tar line.hope for some clear help as i like the look of linux and want to start understanding it.
johnboy1967

RE: newbie needs help

Postby nelz » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:10 pm

Yes, you can cd to your home directory then give the full path to the tarball, e.g:

tar xzf /mnt/cdrom/Desktop/summat.tar.gz

Note that file and directory names are case-sensitive, desktop and Desktop are different.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby johnboy1967 » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:19 pm

but when i go to terminal and type cd home i get no file or directory so i am wondering what am i doing wrong.
johnboy1967

Postby Flea » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:33 pm

This is probably a stupid question... but are you using the correct file system syntax? ex. cd /home not cd home ? if it is your own home directory you are trying to access try 'cd ~' (without the 'quote' marks) remember the CLI is case sensitive and very picky about syntax.
Flea
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:08 pm

to see where your system caret is type 'pwd' (present working directory) to see where you are
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:00 pm

To cd to your home directory, just type "cd".
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby johnboy1967 » Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:21 pm

got the cd to directory sussed in terminal now having probs [johnboy1967@x1-6-00-20-ed-6d-b3-93 ~]$ tar xzvf /mnt/cdrom/desktop/5ball/5ball-0.41.tgz
tar: /mnt/cdrom/desktop/5ball/5ball-0.41.tgz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
trying to unpack files following the mags advice i think, the above is what happens.i know i could look for rpms for any software but trial and error is the best way to learn.
johnboy1967

Postby nelz » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:50 pm

See the last line of my first post.

You can use tab-completion to both save typing and ensure you have the correct path, try typing

tar xzf /mnt/cd<TAB>Des<TAB>5<TAB>5<TAB>

to see how it works.
nelz
Site admin

Postby cletusbaird » Mon Jun 13, 2005 1:41 am

Ubuntu can be graphically installed and will set grub autodetecting all your other Operating Sytems,providing you do not have 8 Gb limitation in BIOS. Load the install CD and when it wants to take over the entire disk.. choose the manual partition option and follow the instructions.
You can add a home and swap partiton just for Ubuntu by carefully not writing over existing partitions. Be sure and choose the GRUB boot loader when it asks...shortly thereafter you will be able to see all Oper Sys on your hard drive.
When the program asks for you to remove the CD you know you are almost there.
Remove the CD and you will reboot automatically to Ubuntu...answer a few questions..then sit back and relax.. It will unpack and set-up your new Ubuntu(based on debian) Operating System.
My old 400 mhz box takes about 45 minutes to set up Ubuntu. Ubuntu is about the easiest install ever . I have run, all the Red Hats,Fedora 1 and 2,Mandrakes 8,9,10,10.1 from Linux Format Disks w/o any major problems.
Not so , with some of the newer debian based cds from other sources that require more modern hardware
I am 62 yrs old...and if I can do it,so can you!!!
cletusbaird

Postby youlikeicecream » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:27 am

I am running Kubuntu Hoary hedgehog and the only console related problems i got were ..

1. Could su to root in console, solved by setting root password
2. Root couldn't connect to xserver from a console, solved by typing "xhost +" as a normal user

I found Mandriva very unstable, and would not boot if i added any new USB or IDE devices after installation!

Mike :)
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Postby youlikeicecream » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:28 am

*sorry that was
1. Couldn't su to root ....
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

Return to Help!