database programming

Code junkies hangout here

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

database programming

Postby ilias » Fri Oct 20, 2006 10:56 am

Hi,
I've got a really large database. I also have several equations that in order to calculate the result they have as parametres the components of the database.
Could you please tell me how to begin with? how can I start i only know c and c++ programming. do i need to learn database programming.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ilias
ilias

RE: database programming

Postby TonyLB » Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:20 pm

What type of "database" is it? For example, if it's MySQL there is a C/C++ API so that you can extract data using C. There are also tools for accessing other SQL databases in C as well.

Tony
In the beginning was nothing, which exploded! (Lords and Ladies, Terry Pratchett)
TonyLB
LXF regular

Postby ilias » Sat Oct 21, 2006 6:18 am

well I beleive that the type of the database is not a problem (actually is an mdb. I used kexi from koffice to browse and convert the database to other forms). I can convert it, can't I.
What API is that? and what tools are these you're talking about?
ilias

Postby Steogede » Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:06 pm

ilias wrote:well I beleive that the type of the database is not a problem (actually is an mdb. I used kexi from koffice to browse and convert the database to other forms). I can convert it, can't I.
What API is that? and what tools are these you're talking about?

MDB - as in MS-Access? The first thing I would recommend is to install MySQL and export your database into that (personally I prefer PostgreSQL, but the user oriented tools are probably better for MySQL). Once you have the data in more common DBMS you can then access it from most programming languages (not many support MS-Access :wink: ).

It would help to know
  • what distro you are running
  • what calculations you are performing and for what purpose (i.e. will you be processing the data, and feeding it back into the database, do you need to make it available online, do you need to create a report or graphs from the data, etc.)
  • What the structure of your database is, e.g. is it very complex with lots of tables or is it just a single table

If you post back I should be able to give you more advice.
Steogede
LXF regular

Postby ilias » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:49 pm

cool!!!
well it is an mdb database as in MS-Acess.
Using kexi (database in kde) i have extracted to various formats.
-> Ubuntu dapper
-> Actually the database consists of a number of coefficients for 128 different Photovoltaic (PV) modules. This coefficiets are inputs to several mathematical equations that model the annual or hourly or monthly or whatever power performance of the PV module and consequently the array of the modules.
Ideally a graph should be drawed and the data should be saved
-> it is just a single table with 128 rows and around 20 columns.

I'm thinking of developing in Qt in which I'm familiriazing myself at the moment.
Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated
ilias

Postby Steogede » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:26 am

Just a quick reply, I respond at length when I am not rushing to get to work.

I don't know a great deal about C++, but Qt seems to be a nice toolkit. My only concern is that (I seem to recall), last time I looked the best database APIs weren't available in the GPL version. I have no idea if that is still the case.
Steogede
LXF regular

Postby ilias » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:24 pm

any updates?
ilias

Return to Programming