Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Enabling Security Module for kernel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:47 pm    Post subject: Enabling Security Module for kernel Reply with quote

Hi, I am trying to install dazuko which AntiVir relies on for active scanning. It wants me to "Enable the security module" for the kernel.

I have never successfully compiled my own kernel, can anyone help me ?

Mike Smile
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Enabling Security Module for kernel Reply with quote

Most likely, you won't need to compile a kernel -- just install the source package for your currently running kernel, and build the Dazuko module against that. Most distros include the source for the kernel supplied; it's typically under the name 'kernel-source' or similar.

Then, you build the Dazuko module using those sources, load it and voila! Well, if it all goes smoothly. There's a handy guide on the site:

http://www.dazuko.org/howto-install.shtml

M
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Enabling Security Module for kernel Reply with quote

But how do I enable the security module in the kernel, i looked at th dazuko "how-to-install" page before posting here and it just says "you will need to compile / rebuild your kernel with the option enabled, you must be familiar with building kernels"

Smile
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Enabling Security Module for kernel Reply with quote

Yeppers, but it also says you can skip the whole kernel compilation step if: 1) you can install your kernel source package, and 2) it's the same source and config as your current kernel.

So if you install the kernel-source (or equivalent) package, then extract Dazuko, run './configure', 'make' and 'make install' (as root) you'll hopefully be OK. I'd assume the Dazuko ./configure script will look for kernel sources in /usr/src/linux, but I'm not on a Linux box to check I'm afraid! Smile

M
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: RE: Enabling Security Module for kernel Reply with quote

But, this is what I have done i call ./configure with the kernel source directory parameter and it says that the security module is not enabled in the kernel ?

Mike Smile
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:38 am    Post subject: RE: Enabling Security Module for kernel Reply with quote

Quote from http://www.dazuko.org/tconf.shtml#NO-MODULE-SUPPORT

///////////////

3.3 What does "error: security module support must be enabled in your kernel" mean?

Dazuko uses the new Linux Security Model for Linux 2.6. This means that Security must be enabled in the kernel in order to support Dazuko. This will require you to configure and build a new kernel.

///////////

Anyone have any links to a tutorial or something so that I can build a new kernel ?

Mike Smile
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject: RE: Enabling Security Module for kernel Reply with quote

Ah, maybe you'll have to then. I do remember installing Dazuko -- several months ago -- but didn't need to rebuild the whole kernel (just compiled the module against my current sources). Anyhoo, building the kernel is good experience; you learn a lot in the process and it'll give you the opportunity to do some extra tweaking Smile

Here's a detailed guide -- pretty long, but helpful all the same:

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html

Good luck!

M
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: