Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

router keeps losing dns settings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveleh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject: router keeps losing dns settings Reply with quote

I have finally managed to get my wireless router setup in Mandiva LE2005. Its a Dlink DSL G604T with a DWL G650+ card.

The only problem now is that Mandriva keeps resetting the DNS settings to the router IP instead of my ISPs DNS servers and I have to keep resetting them by going into MCC>Network&Internet>Alter Misc Internet Settings.

Does anyone know how to stop this or even where these settings are saved?

I have tried doing a contents search on the files in /etc but have had no luck.

any help appreciated
skecs

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:16 am    Post subject: RE: router keeps losing dns settings Reply with quote

Try setting the first DNS to your router, typically 192.168.0.1 and the secondary (and more if you want) to your ISPs DNS. I think it is just some funny things with wanting a DNS as part of the LAN first.
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
dandnsmith
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: RE: router keeps losing dns settings Reply with quote

Perhaps you have your net interface set to acquire stuff via DHCP, and that is why you get the router address for DNS.
I noted that this worked with my setup, so copied it when I changed to a manual setup for my IP address and routing - if it works ...

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: Problem Sorted ( I Think) Reply with quote

I think I have sorted the problem. I found the DNS settings in resolve.conf so once that was set correctly I changed the file permissions to read only. That seems to have worked so far Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: