Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad advertising choice?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

When I spoke to Jason Clifford about the service, it was defitely a case of you having an account with one ISP or the other, bought through UKFSN. That was eighteen months ago, so maybe things have changed.
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

UKLinux has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Well I took a look. Sorry but I'm very disappointed due to their prices. They are way higher than many others for what seems less bandwidth. 22+ a month for ADSL? I simply cannot afford that. I've been hoping that ADSL will come down to the 15 a month mark - I'm not on cable so anything like that is totally out of the question - and even that price is stretching my budget a big way. The fact is that the present government keeps on banging on about how every household will soon have access to broadband internet. Yeah great, access. It doesn't mean that we can all afford it though. Why don't they step in and take a proper look at the BT monopoly for the local loop. Obviously for the foreseeable future I will have to remain on good old 56k dial up while the world whizzes past Sad
jamiet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

kevanf1 wrote:
UKLinux has been mentioned earlier in this thread. Well I've been hoping that ADSL will come down to the 15 a month mark - I'm not on cable so anything like that is totally out of the question - and even that price is stretching my budget a big way. Sad

Broadband has come down in price. I am with www.f2s.co.uk and they do upto 2Mbit connection with 2GB download cap for 14.99 per month.

I am more than happy with them (I opted for 2MBit and 10 GB download)and have never had a problem using linux on their network (allbeit I use a router/modem so they never see my side of the network Smile ).

Look them up, if you decide to go with them just quote my username during registration (jamiet Very Happy ).

HTH,

JamieT
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

The catch here is the 2GB /month cap. 2GB is OK if you want to use mail and browse the web. If you want to keep a system up to date (via urpmi, or similar), and download new packages, maybe try a new distro from an ISO torrent, 2GB is gonna get you nowhere. I've pulled down the latest stable FreeBSD and Kubuntu in the last three days - roughly 75% of a 2GB monthly cap.

Compare like with like: UKFSN's prices are good for an *uncapped* service.

You get what you pay for.
towy71

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

I have a limited budget but wanted uncapped access so went with zen they don't seem to have a problem with linux, indeed they send all the necessary info for a knowledgable or near such like me to set up modem/router Wink
Dick
indeed installed and upgraded ubuntu/kubuntu and I hate to think how many photos I sent to friends and family but way past a Gb Rolling Eyes
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

I use Zen's 2Mb service. They are good, if a little expensive. But you get what you pay for.
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

Ok, I can go with the 'you get what you pay for' idea. So what about V21? I've just seen an advert for them doing 512kbps broadband at 10 a month with no cap. That would be fine for me as I don't tend to download a great deal of massive files anyway. But are V21 reliable? They certainly don't mind you connecting more than one PC to the connection (through a switch and router of course) while other ISPs frown on it. This is within my budget but I'm wary with it being so cheap. Cheaper in fact than I'm paying for dial up!!!!
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

for the first three months thereafter 16.99 and then there is the signup fee 69.99 for monthly contract 58.75for annual
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

Where have you found out about the first three months bit? I didn't see anything when I went onto their site. The signup fee I believe covers the ADSL activation with BT. Most ADSL providers also have some sort of sign up fee. I'm not spoiling for an argument I would genuinely like to know about the three month thing as I'm seriously considering going with V21.
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

http://portal.v21.co.uk/index.asp?exec=v21&v21=choosepkg&migrate=
andychannelle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

I've used Telewest for the last four years (I think - I'm having wine).When the engineer arrived, I just let him watch me install all the stuff. He made one call to register the MAC address, and that was it. I've had two issues and when I phoned the help line, I just pretended to have Windows XP and used ping and traceroute from the console when the person said "do Run and type cmd'. And now they don't even need to register individual MAC addresses. No caps either, which is important when all the new distros get released.
kevanf1
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

The only problem being that we don't have any cable anywhere near to us. I think the nearest is about 12 miles away in W'ton.

I've been told of some bad reports about V21 now so I'm scrapping those plans. With the advent of faster and faster BB (ADSL2) I suspect prices will tumble with all the providers. They will want to start pulling in more customers who are, like me, still on dial up. I hope Smile
ukfsn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

mugstar wrote:
The catch here is the 2GB /month cap. 2GB is OK if you want to use mail and browse the web. If you want to keep a system up to date (via urpmi, or similar), and download new packages, maybe try a new distro from an ISO torrent, 2GB is gonna get you nowhere. I've pulled down the latest stable FreeBSD and Kubuntu in the last three days - roughly 75% of a 2GB monthly cap.

Compare like with like: UKFSN's prices are good for an *uncapped* service.

Well UKFSN now offers "capped" services in addition to our uncapped ones.

We offer pay as you go services from 14.98 per month for a connection up to 2Mb/s.

From 19.99 per month UKFSN offers a maximum speed (up to 2Mb connection) with 30GB of daytime and 300GB of evening and weekend usage.

We still offer the unlimited ADSL services.

The new services come with 24/7 phone support.

At the moment UKFSN is offering free migration to our ADSL service and free upgrades to our existing users who want to switch to the new services.
CJLL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Bad advertising choice? Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
When I spoke to Jason Clifford about the service, it was defitely a case of you having an account with one ISP or the other, bought through UKFSN. That was eighteen months ago, so maybe things have changed.

ukfsn have switched to enta.net and boy do they suck!

It's taken over a month to get me online (BT's fault of cause), but enta.net's lack of communication hasn't helped. Mad
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: