Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Final year student feature?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SFA_AOK

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: Final year student feature? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm on a work placement away from my Computing degree and will be returning to Uni in late September for my final year. There are pieces of software I recommend to friends but the initial learning curve can put them off; for example, using LaTex for the write up of a final year project vs. using word. I was thinking there are a number of tools that a student may want to use but may not have a chance to get up to speed with in the chaos of the final year and a couple of short guides to things like LaTex or code repository software such as CVS might be useful for some people.

*Insert original "keep up the good work on the great magazine" quote here Smile *
andychannelle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Final year student feature? Reply with quote

While I was writing academic stuff, two of the most useful applications I found were KDissert, which is a sort of mind mapping app, and TuxCards which is useful for designing the structure of essays and other written projects.

Andy
bigbee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Final year student feature? Reply with quote

I have just finished the report of my final year project. I've used lynx, a graphical frontend to latex. Although I have also written in pure 'raw' LateX, I can every student recommend Lyx because of it's low learning curve. Even my partner with whom I made my project, a dedicated windows user, was convinced of the power and ease of use of Lyx because it does all the editing for you (stuff word-users would spend endless hours off updating chapter titles, adjusting imagesettings...). Because you can work in a graphical environment it doesn't feel as akward as code-like pure latex. So my friend is now using and recommending lyx to everyone... talking about Free Software advocacy Wink
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do try Lyx, and I recommend that you do, read the documentation to find out what it really does.

The first time I tried it I recoiled in horror because it seemed like an extremely useless text editor. It was only later on when I clicked on a few menu choices that I discovered by chance what it can really do.
It is brilliant for writing formatted documents which can be converted to pdf, html, postscript & many other formats.
LXFRulz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Yes, a LaTex tutorial please! Reply with quote

I work as a tech-writer, and I'm forced to use Word to create huge Tech-manuals, but I'm always amazed how open source software can have a truly integrated help manual, like KDE, with all of the different programs in one table, and you can click on it, and get help on a specific program, or call it from within the program it'self.

LaTex and Lyx looks really cool.
So, yes please, a LaTex/Lyx tutorial would be great!
________
box vaporizer
________
california dispensaries

Last edited by LXFRulz on Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Yes, a LaTex tutorial please! Reply with quote

LXFRulz wrote:

LaTex and Lyx looks really cool.
So, yes please, a LaTex/Lyx tutorial would be great!

Absolutely, this would be great, I think its been mentioned before. But its useful in so many areas, would be great to see a nice set of tutorials.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: