Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think that I am going off computers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:46 pm    Post subject: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Yes, after all these years, I find my interest waning.
Back in the days of 8080,Z80, 6504 chips, 4 digit displays on HPs, and a 20 column green screen they were a real challenge to do anything with.
Amigas were nice, PCs were crap, Novell 3.1, windows 3.11, then w95,w98,200,xp, Caldera, Storm, Suse, Mandrake, it was all such fun, trying to defeat the user interface.

These days, it just seems boring and safe.

I increasingly use my PC for surfing, Ebay, email, photos. music and very little else.

Boring....................................

In fact, I just spent a week in Cornwall without booting my laptop once! no email, web surfing, no games.
The wife thinks I am ill.

nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:51 pm    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

You are clearly ill, showing signs of delusion, put the crack pipe down and seek help immediately!
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

ok, so maybe my last post was not what you might class as helpful. But, c'mon mate, there are litterally millions of things a computer can be used for.

You might just be board with doing the same things, you might need a new angle, a new project to get your teeth into. You could try something totally non computer related, but with millions of weird / wonderful uses for PC's, you could try something there...
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:05 pm    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

I think today brought it home to me, I went into work, (my turn for the Xmas ghost shift, 10-3 for 3 days) one of the servers was down -replaced the cooler on the second processor, the KVM locked up, an hour later, all running fine.
Setting up a new suse10.2 client, needs IE (for a suppliers website) update wine, install cabextract, run ies4linux script, took me an hour, fell asleep during the process.
TOO BORING FOR WORDS!
Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.
I feel a strong urge to buy a house near the coast and take up fishing.(even though I can't cope with maggots, lugworms or knocking fish on the head with a lump of wood.)

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 10:11 pm    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Mind you, I've got an exciting day tomorrow, upgrading 2 Suse clients, running comparative PCL tests on 2 Ricoh MFPs to see if I can get the "condensed" command to work, along with media selection by type, not tray.

I can't wait.

Maybe I'll take up painting, I still have the Oils and canvas my wife bought me for my birthday.......

nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:21 pm    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Everyone needs to do new things, otherwise it does indeed become very tedious.

I was bored at work, starting to wonder (again) if maybe I got it all wrong and something else would be better. Then I started learning a new language for a new project and it re-ignited by enjoyment of my job.

Soooo, again, it just comes down to doing something different to keep it interesting. You should definitely give painting a go, its one of those things that everyone should find the time to do at least once. ie really make the effort to bugger off into some amazing scenery for a day....... oh wait, oils.... mmm, you'll need some hardener to get the buggers to set enough to come home, otherwise you'll be stuck in the hills for at least a week! Smile

Painting, fishing and track days, things to definitely put on the list!
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 11:23 pm    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Try writing an OS in Malbolge. That'll take you from losing interest to the edge of a cliff.

//edit - you do realise this heresy is punishable via eternal damnation as well.//
M0PHP
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
In fact, I just spent a week in Cornwall without booting my laptop once! no email, web surfing, no games.
The wife thinks I am ill.

Seek urgent medical attention, this is incredibly abnormal behaviour. A three-week course of Linux From Scratch, Learn Python in 24 Hours, Bash scripting and compiling every kernel version released, from scratch, on a 486; should just about do the trick.
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

nordle wrote:
Painting, fishing and track days, things to definitely put on the list!

Track Day sounds good if only I had the money. Good blast round Cadwell / Donny to blow the cob webs away.

Don't like fishing but I suppose we could plonk wyliecoyoteuk down by the lake in Mallory, while we tear up the track Very Happy
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:

Maybe I'm just getting old and jaded.

Not until you take up golf, then it's just a short putt to the six foot hole Wink
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Actually, I used to be an artist, did A level art, pottery, foundation course in graphic design................then the frustration set in, and I burnt everytihng I couldn't sell. That was 35 years ago.
My youngest daughter has a degree in ceramics, makes a living selling oil paintings to tourists.....she is much better than I ever was, and she's been painting in oils for about 18 months (actually she was better than I ever was after about a week's practice).

Maybe this is a midlife crisis, except I had that about 8 years ago, when became a grandad.
You just get to the point where you think "is that it?"

Trouble is, I am good at what I do, just nobody seems to notice until I take a weeks holiday, and even then I prepare for it so nothing falls over.
But, although I have no recent IT qualifications, I have been known to run rings round "network consultants" and "programmers" (since when is being able to write a VBA macro "programming" anyway?).

No danger of taking up golf, I agree with Oscar when he said "golf is a good walk spoilt" apart from the fact that I hate walking.

I think that a lot of the people on these forums are the same as me, "enthusiasts" rather than "professionals" that is probably why I like Linux so much.

Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
No danger of taking up golf, I agree with Oscar when he said "golf is a good walk spoilt" apart from the fact that I hate walking.

Golf is a good walk spoilt. Mark Twain Very Happy
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

Well, that only leaves one choice: you'll have to find god. I leave the choice of god up to you. I believe it can be a comfort to some people when they reach a "what's it all for?" stage in life.
<insert mystical smiley here>
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

I quite like T.P.s "goddess of things that get stuck in drawers", as I actually believe that she exists.
And yes it usually IS a fish slice.
Already studied and discounted most of the more common deities, including Blind Io and Offler, the crocodile god..

Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I think that I am going off computers Reply with quote

I do not own a fish slice (so 1sf (troll)'s safe), I usually find it is the hammer that get stuck in the drawer, hence I now keep it on a shelf (perhaps 1sf (troll) isn't so safe after all).

Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: