Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

[ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CitizenGold

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

Hey all,

I noticed a few spams in the current Poll comments. When I tried to moderate them Off Topic I get the following error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function Execute() on a non-object in /var/www/html/modules/NS-Polls/comments.php on line 888

Anyone else getting this too?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

Well, If I click on moderate I get nothing at all. I e-mailed Mike about them yesterday, in case he hasn't noticed. No reply yet.
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

I think this thread needs to be moderated Smile Sorry no help, I just think I am funny!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

Mike replied today and he's mopped up (re-canned?) the spam in the current poll.
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

Iv'e come accross spam in the comments page of the front page article posts. Recently but a while ago. Also notice the 'comment' button is now missing.

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

I believe Mike posted that he was disabling posts to the front-page stories a while back. Apparently he is now thinking of using similar spam prevention to that found in the blog section to prevent spamming in the polls.
Ho hum, it's all a bit tiresome really. Do these spammers think they are endearing themselves to anyone with this behaviour? May their genitals wither!
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

Spammers have a cure for that Smile
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: RE: [ Site bug ] Poll comment moderation Reply with quote

But does it work nelz? Time for an LXF review? Smile
ethernet
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it get much worse, ban by IP. I ended up doing this with a simple PHP script last week. I know it's drastic [and that IPs change] but there hasn't been one bad post since!
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:

>>
I believe Mike posted that he was disabling posts to the front-page stories a while back.
>>

Not sure if it's the same thing, but i think it was the day after i PMed on the spam noticed in the 'comments' section. The site was down for a short time. Possibly that was it ...

ethernet wrote:
>>
If it get much worse, ban by IP
>>

I think IPs are afraid of getting sued by professional rats, the like of SCO, if they show any indication that they concede any 'duty of care'. It creates a precedent.

Not long ago i had a problem that involved being locked out from posting to some sites. I'm on dial up and so i get a dynamic IP allocation. It seems one of their addresses was black listed as a spam relay. So when ever i got that address i was the bunny that had to wear it ...

I figure someone on my providers books must have had a spam trogen pumping them out and got scaned as such. And so listed.

The real solution would be to bane OSes that don't adequately provide some sane security layering, for example windows. Similar to not allowing an unsafe vehicle to travel on the road. I know ... dream on Smile

Besides, they make to much money out of the business' that attemp to provide solutions , licences etc, for them (meaning windows land) to ever fix that.

And i think they have been quite successful in educating the public to believe that it's all quite natual and to be expected too. Now there is part of the solution just there.

From what i see on win sites when this is discussed, the average win home user dosen't really __care__, as long as it dosen't effect them to much.

Spoofed return addressing --> make it an IT crime.

jm

kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
Rhakios wrote:
The real solution would be to bane OSes that don't adequately provide some sane security layering, for example windows. Similar to not allowing an unsafe vehicle to travel on the road. I know ... dream on Smile

But then I couldn't surf this site from work. That's not an option!

jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the problem with regulation, it will always have an intrusive aspect to it. But the overall good needs to be taken into account. Besides if that was the case, you would be using a roadworthy system at 'work' anyway. Either a different model/type, or the existing vehicle would have been fixed.

Some dictator pointing out that 'his/her' country dosen't really need the introduction of democracy, because there a 'nice' dictator ... tends to lack a certaib element of breadth, does it not Smile

Smile

jm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: