Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ADSL modems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pgoldhag

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: ADSL modems Reply with quote

Shocked I have been trying to get my Thomson speedtouch 530 USB plus earthnet modem to connect to Australia's Telstra's ADSL network , and I'm turning very gray in the process . I'm using a P4 1.7gig ,twin 40 gig hard drives , onboard graphics card 4 USB v2 ports , CD-rw , SCSI-R ,512 DDR memory and XP-PRO on the fiirst disk and Mandrake 10.1 on second , though Mandrake had a connection tab for telstra , nothing happend and any material I have seen does'nt give any indication of what the problem is , I know Microsoft has a direct service link with them ,so I don't Know weather this is the problem or not , as my mother board won't except SP2 from Microsoft and my eagerness to swap over I seem to be cumming up against a software wall to offen and am tyring very quickly , anyone out manage to get through this labyrinth without going mad , could you please drop me a line , desperation Phil. Confused
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: RE: ADSL modems Reply with quote

The Speedtouch USB modems cause no end of problems for everyone, not just Linux users. Do yourself a favour and buy an ethernet modem/router. It will work instantly on Linux and be more reliable with Windows too.
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL modems Reply with quote

lol - buy a router, they make life so much easier (and its fun to poke around with them),
zarathustra

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL modems Reply with quote

Coincidentally I just got a new modem/router recently and now I'm back online I have to say they really are the dog's..... by the time the PC has booted up the router is already connected to the internet and over ethernet I'm instantly connected to the net Smile My kids also love it because we are able to share net access with ease. before this I was using a Speedtouch *crap* and using a PC as a gateway/router *very messy*.

Get a bloody router, but don't go down the USB route, they may be cheap but they waste clock cycles. Heck two points in this day of mindboggling clocks and cpu power overall who gives a rats arse about conserving clock cycles?! Secondly routers are actually dirt cheap now, a starter unit can be had for a pittance.

regards Zara...
youlikeicecream
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL modems Reply with quote

i bought a cheap ntl router for a friend of mine, took it to her house installed it and it was up and running without need for configuration. bam just like that. On the downside its cheap and if i try to log into it, it crashes and it gives denial of service and needs a reboot - lmao. but hey, ust leave it alone and it dont matter

Smile
pgoldhag

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: RE: ADSL modems Reply with quote

Thanks to U - all ,Nelz,youlikeicream,Zarathustra I think deepdown I knew a router was probalbly the way to go , however I'm not sure that the tieup between telstra and microsoft may cause a few problems as it doesn't reconise linux and nearly every time I try and get this site I run into huge problems login in . However i'll try anything to dump XP. Smile Smile
pilchard

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: RE: ADSL modems Reply with quote

I live in Albany W.A , I'm with Westnet ISP and just bought and installed a Dynalink DSL-504t ADSL Router ,
it is running 2 xp machines and a Suse 9.2 Machine , no problems yet , all set up on Cat 5 cable , no USB.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: