Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Learning Assembly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PythonRulz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Learning Assembly Reply with quote

Ok, so I decided I want to learn assembly. What do I need to start writing programs with it? is there a good tutorial you recommend?

I am quite a confident programmer, I use C#, Python and C++ regularly
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning Assembly Reply with quote

NASM is where it is at. All you need is that, VIM and the linker available in Linux as standard.

There is a book on it here for free

http://webster.cs.ucr.edu/AoA/index.html

I'd avoid HLA and focus on the real stuff. Perhaps give MikeOS a look (written by LXFs very own Mike Saunders).

The focus is very different in ASM to the languages you mention above. C is a decent abstraction but the others are a fair bit away.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: RE: Learning Assembly Reply with quote

As GMorgan says, NASM is the tool you want (to assemble your code into executable format). You don't have to use Vim -- I use Nano with some x86 syntax highlighting Smile

Try these tutorials:

http://asm.sourceforge.net/intro/Assembly-Intro.html

http://docs.cs.up.ac.za/programming/asm/derick_tut/

Those show you how to write assembly programs in Linux. You'll also need a general guide to x86 instructions; Wikibooks should get you started:

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/X86_Assembly

Good luck!

M
insanefido

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good to see an article on assembly coding in the magazine albeit a seemingly one off. It seems to be a sadly neglected art in the Linux world while undergoing a resurgence on the other major x86 OS. It is the only code I understand as those high level languages make my head spin.

The FASM and YASM assemblers are also worth checking out especially if you wish to code for AMD64 as NASM does not support this.
mjcpk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, what's the deal with HLA? I've seen it touted as a really good way to learn Assembly but when I looked at a bit it didn't look nuffink like the stuff in Mikes tutorial...

..we fear that which we do not understand...I'm always scared!
GMorgan
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HLA is basically somebody taking a high level language and trying to call it ASM so people can claim to be writing that hard stuff. I'd avoid it, you're better off learning real ASM and then if you want a higher level approach to writing apps with some performance benefits use C and code the bottlenecks in pure ASM.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: