athlon xp 3200
512 mg ddr 400
nvidia 5200
2x maxtor 250gb 16Mb cache HD's
pioneer 105 + 109 dvd writers
pci raid card
pci firewire card
pci gigabit lan

Heres the thing , i have bought an athlon XP cpu , yet suse was built to use the i686 instructions - i REALLY want to recompile the default kernel to work as before but use the athlon XP instructions.its my understanding that i can only run self compiled programs at the i686 or below level.thanx.
braincell1973

RE: suse 9.3 athlon kernel

Postby Rhakios » Fri Jun 24, 2005 6:51 pm

Even if you recompile the kernel, the X server, your window manager and all your programs for the Athlon architecture, you will notice very little difference in performance. In fact it will take you longer to do so that you could possibly save in time using the computer.
But by all means have a go if you want to entertain yourself. There are sections on compiling the kernel in the admin guide, particularly 9.3 and 9.5. You will need to change the cpu type in the kernel configuration. If you know your hardware well, you can also reduce the size of your kernel by removing unnecessary options and the number of modules present on your system, which can save some time and memory.
Good luck.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:55 pm

cheers Rhakios,did try recompiling the kernel but i got a few errors , when i booted it showed some more , but did boot.

what im looking for is step by step instructions that will leave me with the defualt suse kernel but , be optimised for athlonXP.i understand there will be little performance gain, but it means that i can try compiling some other apps that are cpu intensive for the XP cpu.

any help would be appreciated greatly

thx,lee

Postby Rhakios » Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:07 pm

You don't need to recompile the kernel for that. Instaed you should have a look at pages 90 et seq of issue 67 on gcc compiler options. Unfortunately this mostly bangs on about Pentium IV optimisation, but the same principles apply for getting the optimisation for athlon, you would be wanting something along the lines of -mcpu=athlon.
If you are recompliling rpms have a look at /usr/lib/rpm/rpmrc. When using rpmbuild you can always set the option --target athlon, have a look at man rpmbuild.
Bye, Rhakios
Rhakios

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 25, 2005 11:31 pm

thanx man , as i said , i followed the suse book in the box to the letter,unfortunately it went pear shaped,the aim
of what im asking is the step i need to take to produce the standard suse kernel - but optised for xp cpu,irrespective of speed gains , i know that if i compile video or audio encoding apps for xp cpu then i will see definate improvements.

all i need is a standard suse kernel, for xp, thx,lee

Return to Help!