Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Valentine's Day gift to you: Cybernightlife relaunched

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phorneker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:02 pm    Post subject: Valentine's Day gift to you: Cybernightlife relaunched Reply with quote

I am pleased to announce the relaunching of the Cybernightlife project, with a new URL: http://cybernightlife.50webs.com

Changes include:

- Removal of obsolete and some older material.
- Refocusing on distributions designed for home and small business use.
- New menu structures
- Image galleries are now integrated into the main website.
- Plenty of garbage removal, including SuSE support.
- Best of all, no popup advertising!

(music: Hallelujah!)

At this point, I am keeping the Cybernightlife Founder's Journal, and am looking for space for a forum.

Oh, and the current focus is on the SimplyMEPIS distribution. Other distributions will follow as time and space warrant.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: RE: Valentine Reply with quote

Woo, I like your unique approach to a Linuxy site. I would, however, change the images from JPGs into PNGs or GIFs -- the compression artifacts are really glaring, eg:

http://cybernightlife.50webs.com/graphics/menu-linux.jpg

Resave them in PNG or GIF and they'll look a lot crisper.

M
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, very stylish. But I do wish websites wouldn't use white font on a black background. So difficult to read. It puts me off straight away. If it looks like something I might be interested in, I have to copy the whole page, paste it into Word and change to a more acceptable black font on white background. Rolling Eyes
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very readable on my screen. Perhaps you need one of the following things, Marrea:

1. To turn up the contrast on your monitor.
2. A new monitor.
3. New eyes.

That was roughly in increasing order of difficulty, but the choice is obviously yours.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My choice is to convert it to black on white. Very Happy

Maybe your eyes aren't as old as mine, but even when I was younger I always found magazine articles with white font on a black background very tiring to read, so much so that I would frequently just pass over the article altogether.

The worst thing is if you do actually persevere and read, say three or four pages of white on black, and then return to the more conventional black on white ........ that takes some little while for your eyes to readjust. Shocked

I think there must be a reason why books are printed with black text on white pages?
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just do not like "black" sites like this. It is not for the font, but just the overall appearance. It does not seem professional to me, seems like an emo teen site.
Nobber
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrea, I agree, white-on-black in print is generally bad, unless the print quality is very high.

On screen, though, I hate white backgrounds [1]. Hurts my (mid-30s, by the way) eyes. Konsole, Gnome terminal, urxvt, xterm - you name the terminal, the first thing I do is change the colour scheme to white-on-black. And the Writer document I've got open at the moment has a nice, soothing, grey background...

[1] "Well, turn down the brightness/contrast, then!" I hear you shout. But then I wouldn't be able to see the white-on-black so well, would I?
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit a large expanse of bright white screen can be a bit too much as well (no pleasing me, is there?).

Tell you what I really hate - dark blue font on a black background. Now that really is awful !
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how about a bright red font on a green background - see the letters dance Smile
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

White font on black background is far better, especially if you are reading a long article, you are in effect staring straight at a lightbulb after all. Books are printed black on white because it would cost more to print ink everywhere but the letters Wink

Nice site, good to see LXF at the top of the Linux Resources Very Happy
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel a poll coming on. Laughing
phorneker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Valentine Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Woo, I like your unique approach to a Linuxy site. I would, however, change the images from JPGs into PNGs or GIFs -- the compression artifacts are really glaring, eg:

http://cybernightlife.50webs.com/graphics/menu-linux.jpg

Resave them in PNG or GIF and they'll look a lot crisper.

M

Thanks for the compliment.

I have experimented with the PNG and GIF formats when working with these graphics. The JPEGs were created with GIMP and saved using a quality setting of 50. I have found that the file sizes of the JPEG were significantly smaller than their PNG or GIF equivalents, even at greyscale, which is what these graphics were.

My design has been optimized to minimize file sizes in order to speed up loading, even with 56K dialups.

As for the black background looking like a "emo teen" site, this is not quite the case. The black background is part of the "upscale" design that was part of the Project since 1998. The design was inspired in part from nighttime trips to places such as Chicago's Magnificant Mile (north Michigan Avenue), the Las Vegas Strip, and even the local shopping plaza in the city where I live.

The site logo was inspired by logos you see at night on store fronts. Examples include Macy's, Kohl's, and JCPenney here in the US. Though the backgrounds are different colors, the logos are all white in text color on the signs on each store.

If I were to convert to a black on white scheme, the website would not have the same effect. The black background is the "night" in "nightlife".
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Valentine Reply with quote

Bring Back!
Green on Black!
wiz
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don´t even think of using a light background.
This has been a prime hate of mine since dos gave way to gui´s with screaming white backgrounds.
Quote:

Bring Back!
Green on Black!

It still exists around here, and in text mode too.
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marrea wrote:
I think there must be a reason why books are printed with black text on white pages?

Because the reverse would cost 1,000 times as much in ink Smile
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: