Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Restarting the Gentoo Installation (portage mirror problem)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter123456

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Restarting the Gentoo Installation (portage mirror problem) Reply with quote

Hello All,

I have a problem to restart after a break with the Gentoo installation.

What happend up to now:
1. CD-ROM with a burned gentoo live cd because the computer has only a CD-ROM
2. Harddisk hdd prepared hdd1=boot, hdd2=swap, hdd3=root
3. copied the distfiles to directory "files" on hdd3
4. booting gentoo live cd
5. installed stage1 (source from hdd3)
6. installed portage (source from hdd3)
7. run command echo "local /mnt/gentoo/files" >/mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/mirrors #that should be a problem after restart the next day
8. edited /etc/make.conf
9. did NOT use "emerge --sync"
10. bootstrapped the system
11. run "emerge --newuse system"
12. run "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash"
13. configured and compiled the kernel

THEN I decided to stop and to continue the next day and used "exit", umounted everything and rebooted

The next day I restarted with
1. mounting as the day before,
2. run command echo "local /mnt/gentoo/files" >/mnt/gentoo/etc/portage/mirrors
3. "chroot /mnt/gentoo /bin/bash",
4. "env-update",
5. "source /etc/profile"

And wanted continue with
6. emerge grub

NOW MY PROBLEM: emerge tries now to download from the internet. It do not use the distfiles from the directory /files on hdd3 anymore as the day before. Again I never used "emerge --sync" as it is recommend in the magazine to prevent this problem.

How can I solve this problem? Thank you in advance

Peter
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Restarting the Gentoo Installation (portage mirror probl Reply with quote

You only need steps 3 to 5 when re-entering the chroot, step 2 only needs to be done once. However,m you haven't made the files available to the chroot environment, so the mirror is an empty directory, that's why it is trying to download. You need

Code:
1. mount --bind /path/to/files /mnt/gentoo/files

A chroot is a locked box, programs inside of it cannot access anything outside. That is why you need to map your files directory to somewhere inside the box.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: RE: Restarting the Gentoo Installation (portage mirror probl Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your answer. I solved the problem when editing the empty mirror file and added "local /files". After that, portage continued to take my files.

Best regards
Peter
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: RE: Restarting the Gentoo Installation (portage mirror probl Reply with quote

How did you end up with an empty mirror file? According to the steps you described, it should have contained "local /mnt/gentoo/files".

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject: RE: Restarting the Gentoo Installation (portage mirror probl Reply with quote

Hello netz,

KDE is running now, so everything worked well. I suppose, that working in the chroot shell let the entry "local /files" work Smile.

Thanks again for your help
Regards
Peter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: