conection between linux and ppc

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

conection between linux and ppc

Postby bigblack » Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:43 am

Hi all,

I have been attemting to conect to a power mac from linux mandriva via a ethernet conection. With no luck.

My big problem is that the ppc has no monitor, and the person who gave me the ppc just uses computers, and does not take an interest any further than that. The no monitor means I cannot see the settings on the mac. However the mac was part of a small lan connecting macs together.

Any clues??
bigblack

RE: conection between linux and ppc

Postby nelz » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:05 am

It could be that the Mac is set up to use an address from a different network block than your LAN, e.g. 192.168.0.x vs. 192.168.1.x. Or it may use DHCP when you have no DHCP server running on your network.

The quickest solution is probably to plug a monitor into the Mac while you confirm or reset the network configuration.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby skecs » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:44 am

It could even be using Appletalk as a network protocol - you should be able to connect any monitor. If it is a recent G4 it may have a DVI connector - but the adaptors are readily available, every G4 came with one (for the squarer of the two). You will probably want to connect a keyboard and mouse - any USB keyboard will do, even a "Windows" keyboard where the "Windows Key" will become the "Apple Key". Configure the network, enable SSH access, and then you can do just about everything from teh command line.

I'm assuming it is Mac OS X :wink:
Regards from
Downunder!
.... _
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
skecs

Postby bigblack » Tue Jun 28, 2005 12:20 pm

Hi

Thanks for your replies.

I do have a keyboard and mouse for the mac. Unfortunatly the mac is an old power pc.

I need to get an adaptor to connect my monitor to the mac.

I was hoping to avoid the expense, and was looking for a way to query the mac via ethernet to get its address.

DHCP does appear to be the way but I am new to networks and am next to clueless about howto.

Thanks for the help.
bigblack

Return to Help!