Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where has PCLinuxOS gone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Where has PCLinuxOS gone? Reply with quote

Hi,

I wanted to download the latest version of PCLinuxOS, but their website seems to have vanished...

I was trying: http://www.pclinuxos.com/page.php?7

Does anybody have any info?

Thanks,
Ryan
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Where has PCLinuxOS gone? Reply with quote

If you goto http://www.pclinuxos.com/
you get this PCLinuxOS is currently offline but will be back online soon. You can find out more information here.

clicking here gets you http://www.google.com/notebook/public/04230921465548081248/BDSJaSwoQjPG8odch?hl=en

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
rodboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Ram, I guess it's worth a lookin then... as it's been so popular Laughing

Thanks,
Ryan
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly worth it. PCLOS was hit by two separate hosting problems which weren't of its own making, but it's now very close to being fully up and running again. The reason it's taking a bit of time is that they really don't want this to happen again, and they're making sure that the forum hosting is robust enough to take anything the increasing number of users can throw at it.

Eric
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup! We're almost back. I've updated the info at the link that Ram posted above.

It has rather pushed back a few dates, but expect to see the site up soon, meanwhile a new Test Release is on its way. Ladislav Bodnar clearly expected TR3 to be released as final when he wrote his column in the last LXF, but a small number of people had bootup lockup problems with TR3. There were also problems with DMA being switched off on optical drives and other media detection issues on a small minority of systems, updates to the kernel, the hardware detection programs, and K3B seem to have resolved all this. Assuming TR4 contains no showstoppers, expect a final to follow soon after.

But you know what a perfectionist Texstar is!

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
rodboy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey this is great, I've had a quick look at the Live distro and it's pretty click, I'm going to install it over my Xandros v4 and give it a real try. Twisted Evil

Looking forward to the new release!

Thanks everyone for the news and updates,
Ryan
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on a few days, Test Release 4 which we have very strong hopes will be renamed as Final will be out in a few days. I will of course announce here.

I already have the "developers" pre-release and it's just a question of straightening a few packages out at the repositories to match, and a couple of presentational things like Synaptic starting maximised (looks bad), guest desktop not set to display plug-in storage, and some really minor stuff.

The basics seem extremely sound, so sort these little bits out and we're cooking!

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCLinuxOS Site is back up. Test release 4 will hit public mirrors in 24-48 hours.

More news to follow.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: