Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Acer flatscreen AL511

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 3:01 am    Post subject: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

I'm setting up a computer for a complete newbie (using Fedora Core 2) and couriering it to them accross the country. The box has an Nvidia pro card and they have told me their screen is an ACER AL511 flatscreen.

Basically, if I set up the monitor etc to suit my hardware, a "detected hardware" change at their end will effectively uninstall Nvidia drivers. I therefore want to set the monitor up to correct settings for tehir monitor just before sh8ipping the box off to them, so it will just work straight away to their system.

Problem: Under display config, there are lots of Acer monitors, but no AL511. I know that they are likely cross compatable, but some will not be, and I don't want to pick the wrong one in it causes grief to this complete newbie at the other end. I certainly don't want it to run diagonal lines, bad flicker or too low res for their hardware.

Anyone else here using Fedora Linux with an Acer AL511 ? If so, can you please let me know which monitor is chosen in your display hardware settings?
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

Is that flatscreen as in flatscreen CRT or as in TFT?!? I have heard people call TFT's flat screens....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

I wouldn't know that, given that I haven't seen it. I've only ever emailed and a few times actually 'phoned this guy some time back (pricey toll call). A google on ACER 511 gives me this model: http://www.superwarehouse.com/Acer_AL511_15_LCD_Monitor/ET.51102.067/p/234348
...which is not listed among the ones in Display options (hence - who else using Fedora knows the equivalent?)

If I actually had one here it would be a non-issue. I'd pick one and check. However, without this guy knowing anything about Linux yet (not even VI) he won't likely be ablee to configure it if it bawks at wrong screen settings and lands him in console.
Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

Sorry - that last post was me, not an anonymous 'guest'.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

Well if its an LCD you don't have to worry about refresher rate etc etc like you posted above. When I swapped my partner over from a sony flat crt to his dabsvalue tft, we didn't have to change anything!! But that was on MDK10.1...
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:10 am    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

lol, just did the same as you!!

Lancer
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

Very Happy Yeah. I configured to to "generic LCD" and noticed it only actually asked further about raw screen res (sheesh - back in days or Red Hat 5 when I started it asked EVERYTHING - back then getting X to work at all was an achievement and vi was "normal use" of a computer). Fingers crossed that it's going to "just work" at the other end Smile
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

I muist add at work I had to change the refresher rate from 85 to 75, so I would just in case change this down...as tfts don't need high refresher rates..

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

I'm using an Acer 711 at home, with an Nvidia driver, on FC3. I'd say that's a pretty close match. I'll check when I get home and post my xorg.conf, and/or check the display in the display settings dialogue
brunson

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

I'm having problems with a new ACER AL1921 and xorg.

With both the builtin ATI Rage and an nVidia MX 4000 I get my screen shifted to the right almost half way across the screen. The horizontal positioning can't get it all the way back, even in conjunction with xvidtune shifting. It's odd because if I turn the monitor off, then on, it will correctly center for a split second, then the "auto optimizer" seems to kick in and shift the video. I can't display anything above 800x600 centered and that's not even reliable, 640x480 is the only thing that works.

If you have a working config for an ACER LCD, I'd love to see it.

Thanks,
e.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Acer flatscreen AL511 Reply with quote

download the manual for the monitor from www.acer.co.uk which should have the correct refresh rates...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: