Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Palm Treo 650 woes then recovery

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject: Palm Treo 650 woes then recovery Reply with quote

So for the most part I get along well with my Treo 650. Recently it stopped hot-syncing. I tried both my M$ machines. (Haven't gotten around to trying to sync it with *nix yet.)

I tried a hard-reset. Then I went as far as a zero-out reset. Still no progress. Tried cleaning contacts on phone, then on cable. No dice.

I saw a random post where a guy said he fixed the problem--and I'm serious here--by licking the connector, attaching immediately, and syncing the phone.

I was getting ready to send a post calling the guy an idiot until my damn phone synced! Of all the dumb things, I licked the cable and hit the sync button.

Has been syncing fine on both machines ever since! Smile I just had to share that.
bigjohn
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Palm Treo 650 woes then recovery Reply with quote

Where theres a will, theres a way.

Don't forget, that the sync connector is those tiny sprung gold plated connectors. The licking probably produced enough moisture to pierce the film of scuzz that coats the small flat connectors on the device.

You'd probably have achieved the same if you'd sprayed it with switch cleaner and compressed air.

Ha! as you say, it does seem laughable that such a trick should work.

Oh and as for syncing it with a linux distro, I use kde/kontact - some distros I've tried have worked out of the box, others have needed a bit of meddling - but it seems to work well.

The only thing I haven't managed to do under linux is flash the firware - I had to connect to my partner Clares' laptop (W98SE) to do that.

regards

John
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 1:35 am    Post subject: RE: Palm Treo 650 woes then recovery Reply with quote

Yeah, the odd thing is that I had tried the old eraser and alcohol, but the Treo contacts are set deeper than their plastic surrounds. I have a feeling the plastic was preventing the eraser and swap from actually making contact in there. Then, like you said, the spit on the springy contacts broke through whatever film had accumulated.

Still a pretty funny series of events in retrospect.

In terms of sync, my work is an M$-exclusive shop (much to my dismay) and the other machine I sync with is my wife's which is also Windows due to proprietary software needs. It's my laptop and my son's machines that are Linux. I've never felt the need to sync on those.

Cheers!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: