Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

extreme newbie needs help installing SUSE 9.2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: extreme newbie needs help installing SUSE 9.2 Reply with quote

I would like to install SUSE 9.2 from the march 2005 cover disc onto a second IDE hard drive. this would be slaved to the primary master drive.
on the main drive (i will call this drive 1) I am dual booting Win ME and Win XP using Win XP boot manager. please don't comment on me using windows as all the products and programs avaiable to me in stores are only for windows where I live. I would like to know how I need to set things up so that I can install SUSE onto the second hard drive and still keep windows from being screwed up (on drive 1). also I would like to keep win xp as the default boot and still have win me also. I have not tried to install yet as I am not sure what will happen. I would like to keep everything as simple as possible when installing so could you please keep the instructions simple as I am still trying to learn the linux "languge".
jer1ch0
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: RE: extreme newbie needs help installing SUSE 9.2 Reply with quote

During installation, suse will give you an option of where to install itself, be it the first hard drive called hda or the second hard drive called hdb.
Choose hdb.
The installer will also offer to install the grub bootloader to the Windows MBR (master boot record)
This will pick up your Windows operating systems.
You will be given a choice of booting into either of the three installed operating systems at boot time.
I'm a relative newbie myself, so i am open to correction here.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: