Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I disagree with The Ultimate Distro Test because...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

I disagree with The Ultimate Distro Test because...
My favourite distro didn't win.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
My favourite distro wasn't in it.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
Actually, it was pretty much what i expected to see.
14%
 14%  [ 1 ]
I'm waiting to see what 1sf (troll) thought before i disagree with him.
57%
 57%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 7

Author Message
pootman
LXF regular


Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:25 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Scotland, North of England

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just spent fifteen minutes trying to get a damned é. I a long-time kde-er (and part time twm-er) and i´m currently in a default-debian-4-gnome system, trying to figure out what about it makes it play the stream from classicfm.com where just about every other distro has failed. I miss kde, but that´s neither here nor there.

I found that changing the keyboard layout to uk international ĺétś yóú aććéńt characters by typing ´ ör ¨ just before the letter but makes you double-tap ´ to type ´
An acceptable solution, but i preferred the ms way of handling this.
_________________
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pootman
LXF regular


Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:25 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Scotland, North of England

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
As for gay being used to mean crap, why not, it isn't allowed its original meaning any more.


The hidden tragedy in all of this is, of course, Rolf Harris's "Two Little Boys" - I'm making the most of singing it to my kids at bedtime while they're too young to care.
_________________
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="pootman"]
Rhakios wrote:
As for gay being used to mean crap, why not, it isn't allowed its original meaning any more.


That's the my young un uses it but I prefer it correct meaning to be merry.

pootman wrote:
The hidden tragedy in all of this is, of course, Rolf Harris's "Two Little Boys" - I'm making the most of singing it to my kids at bedtime while they're too young to care.


It's only a song, not a bad one at that.
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
pootman
LXF regular


Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:25 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Scotland, North of England

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But when they get to school they're going to learn a whole new meaning to "Gaily they played" that has little to do with happiness or qualitative judgement...
_________________
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ram
LXF regular


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:44 pm
Posts: 1667
Location: Guisborough

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too true, hopefully they'll have an understanding that it does not have to mean that also.
_________________

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
MikeHarvey



Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:00 pm
Posts: 88
Location: North Birmingham

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that it's not so much a case of it not being allowed as the fact that it's been used to mean homosexual for so long that very few people would recognise its original meaning any more.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
towy71
Moderator


Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4257
Location: wild West Wales

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeHarvey wrote:
I think you'll find that it's not so much a case of it not being allowed as the fact that it's been used to mean homosexual for so long that very few people would recognise its original meaning any more.
Oh go and read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay Rolling Eyes
_________________
still looking for that door into summer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nordle
LXF regular


Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:56 pm
Posts: 1500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
MikeHarvey wrote:
I think you'll find that it's not so much a case of it not being allowed as the fact that it's been used to mean homosexual for so long that very few people would recognise its original meaning any more.
Oh go and read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay Rolling Eyes


???? He made a valid point.
_________________
I think, therefore I compile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
towy71
Moderator


Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4257
Location: wild West Wales

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it was during the 1960s that queers adopted the epithet therefore the point is not valid, the fact that 20% of the population is over 60 and witnessed that change reinforces the invalidity
_________________
still looking for that door into summer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nordle
LXF regular


Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2005 10:56 pm
Posts: 1500

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think the crux of his point that less people would associate gay with happy is valid.
_________________
I think, therefore I compile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester


Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 3:52 pm
Posts: 2429
Location: wigan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no way, gay means crap
paul
_________________
i am a follower of the culture

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
towy71
Moderator


Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 pm
Posts: 4257
Location: wild West Wales

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typed gay into the dictionary that comes with ubuntu and got this:
Quote:
Gay Gay (g[=a]), a. [Compar. Gayer; superl. Gayest.] [F.
gai, perhaps fr. OHG. g?hi swift, rapid, G. g[aum]h, j[aum]h,
steep, hasty; or cf. OHG. w?hi beatiful, good. Cf. Jay.]
[1913 Webster]
1. Excited with merriment; manifesting sportiveness or
delight; inspiring delight; livery; merry.
[1913 Webster]

Belinda smiled, and all the world was gay. --Pope.
[1913 Webster]

Gay hope is theirs by fancy fed. --Gray.
[1913 Webster]

2. Brilliant in colors; splendid; fine; richly dressed.
[1913 Webster]

Why is my neighbor's wife so gay? --Chaucer.
[1913 Webster]

A bevy of fair women, richly gay
In gems and wanton dress! --Milton.
[1913 Webster]

3. Loose; dissipated; lewd. [Colloq.]

Syn: Merry; gleeful; blithe; airy; lively; sprightly,
sportive; light-hearted; frolicsome; jolly; jovial;
joyous; joyful; glad; showy; splendid; vivacious.
[1913 Webster]

-- From The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48

I also looked in my Concise Oxford dictionary where it is defined as:
1 light-hearted and carefree, mirthful
2 characterised by cheerfulness or pleasure
3 brightly coloured, showy, brilliant
4 colloq homosexual
5 colloq dissolute, immoral

Madrake quotes wordnet with much the same definitions
_________________
still looking for that door into summer
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pootman
LXF regular


Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:25 pm
Posts: 430
Location: Scotland, North of England

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my kids grow up with the gay==crap definition, it's still going to spoil the song.

Does anyone here know Rolf? Could you ask him to re-record it with happily?

Then again, if 1sf (troll) and his ilk are appropriating 'gay' for their personal use, perhaps the homosexual community will launch a retaliatory strike on 'happy'?
_________________
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Rhakios
Moderator


Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 12:18 am
Posts: 7627
Location: Midlands, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've always thought 1sf (troll) seemed a bit too "happy" to be married with a kid Wink
_________________
Bye, Rhakios
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester


Joined: Mon May 09, 2005 3:52 pm
Posts: 2429
Location: wigan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's funny you should say that rhakios, my wife always says what miserable swine i am Confused i think you're happy too Very Happy i'll be john-paul and you can be craig Very Happy
paul
_________________
i am a follower of the culture

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
Linux Format forums topic RSS feed 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group


Copyright 2011 Future Publishing, all rights reserved.


Web hosting by UKFast