Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not smoking, again?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Not smoking, again? Reply with quote

Just curious, how's Mike faring with his Virtualboy and his non-smoking? It's been nearly two months now, has he gone blind?

It'll be three weeks on Saturday for me, I feel a lot fitter already, but I'm as ratty as a really big rat (from quitting smoking, not playing Virtualboy, obviously).

Cold turkey needs pickled beetroot and mayonnaise.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Not smoking, again? Reply with quote

He might tell us when he gets back from holiday. Then again...
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: RE: Not smoking, again? Reply with quote

Quote:
It'll be three weeks on Saturday for me, I feel a lot fitter already, but I'm as ratty as a really big rat (from quitting smoking, not playing Virtualboy, obviously).

Cold turkey needs pickled beetroot and mayonnaise.

My temper has stayed much the same, I've just found that my appettite has quadrupled! There have been a couple of moments of weakness I have to admit, but thankfully none of them have led me back to full time smoking.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: RE: Not smoking, again? Reply with quote

*hands tremble across keyboard*

Anyone got a spare tab?

I'm doing OK thanks. Still long for a tab sometimes and it's horribly tempting at the pub, but soon that problem will be gone! On the upside it seems to have made me better at pool and snooker...

M
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Not smoking, again? Reply with quote

shifty_ben wrote:
I've just found that my appettite has quadrupled!

That happened to me as well... and after 13 years my appetite is still bigger than before I gave up smoking. And I'm still trying to shift the weight I put on back then Sad
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Not smoking, again? Reply with quote

I seem to be drinking more when i drink, though I think i'm okay for not eating more. I got my mountain bike out (and there are some pretty big mountains behind my house) so i'm usually too tired to walk to the fridge.
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 10:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Not smoking, again? Reply with quote

I've been exercising quite hard as well, mainly swimming as living in a town centre in the middle of Suffolk does not give to much alternative. I've also noticed that I've needed to take vitamin supplements though that could just be related to my poor diet (it's not that bad honestly)
chrisporter4444

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its sooooo hard - i stopped 2 weeks ago and ive been running an swimmin loads, but i always want a cigi....is there anything else that can get that insane feeling you have away???
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisporter4444 wrote:
.is there anything else that can get that insane feeling you have away???

Cocaine? Heroin?
1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you could always smoke a crack pipe i believe they are refreshing and exhilerating at the same time Very Happy
paul

pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we are, another month passed, and i actually feel quite good physically and mentally.
I still miss it, and i refer to myself as an occasional smoker because i'd hate to be pigeon-holed with the rabid anti-smokers.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pootman wrote:
i refer to myself as an occasional smoker because i'd hate to be pigeon-holed with the rabid anti-smokers.

More like, you're hoping to get a better pension Wink
shifty_ben
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of interest, what do people think of the EU's latest proposition regarding smoking? For thse who don't know it will stop smoking in Parks (OK there's kids there I can appreciate that one a little) walking down the street, outside the office. In fact it will ban smoking everywhere but at home.

And another question out of interest, how many of you have kids that smoke, but will find themselves unable to in October? I ID'd someone recently, and upon checking the date of his ID found that he wasn't old enough, and won't be until October, by which time he will be too young again!

EDIT: I failed in my attempt to give up, it wasn't chemical cravings that beat me, it was a realization that I actually quite enjoy smoking, especially the time that Rolling gives me to think. I am proud to smoke, because it means I am doing something that I enjoy, rather than trying to repress the part of me that just wants to sit back and enjoy a nice smoke.
pootman
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shifty_ben wrote:
I actually quite enjoy smoking, especially the time that Rolling gives me to think. I am proud to smoke, because it means I am doing something that I enjoy, rather than trying to repress the part of me that just wants to sit back and enjoy a nice smoke.

So did I, I'm going to take the moral high ground though, because I'm doing it for my kids (not that I ever smoked around them anyway).

That said, and please don't take this personally, damn you to hell and back.
ollie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shifty_ben wrote:
Just out of interest, what do people think of the EU's latest proposition regarding smoking? For thse who don't know it will stop smoking in Parks (OK there's kids there I can appreciate that one a little) walking down the street, outside the office. In fact it will ban smoking everywhere but at home.

It is starting to get like that in Australia too. My wife smokes and I did for about 20 years but gave up about 8 years ago. I went from 50+ full strength smokes a day (Winnie Reds for Aussies who can remember Hoges before Dundee fame) to zero on a Monday and haven't felt like picking up the habit again. Though giving up definitely adds plenty of weight to the frame - there's a reason the penguin has a big belly Laughing .

If governments were serious about people giving up they would just ban them outright, but they are addicted to the tax from tobacco and alcohol so there's Buckley's of that happening.

I do wish Mike and all others giving up the habit all the best of luck!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: