Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midi Keyboard

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stingray

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:43 am    Post subject: Midi Keyboard Reply with quote

Hi all

does anyone know of a good audio editing package that allows you to play a midi keyboard. I dont want a too complicated program just one that allows me to play my midi keyboard through my pc with good quality sound

Sting
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:52 pm    Post subject: RE: Midi Keyboard Reply with quote

Having just got a new mobo, I found that it has a header onboard to connect to a MIDI keyboard. I also have a keyboard and a lead! What I can't ******* get is the header to backplate lead for the computer!!

Anyway, I intend to try Rosegarden when I've got it all connected.

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
zarathustra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:54 pm    Post subject: RE: Midi Keyboard Reply with quote

There is one, I can't recall it atm, but I'll go looking in the attic tomorrow for my old SuSE manuals as I know it was mentioned in there. That's a bit of a downer I grant because you may need to wait, but the upside is it was on SuSE 7.2 so the app if still around will have been polished a little by now.

regards Zara...
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: RE: Midi Keyboard Reply with quote

The SuSE 8.2 manuals say you need a package called pmidi to link your midi port into the ALSA sound system. You should then be able to use kaconnect to link that to your soundcard, recording app or whatever.

It doesn't go into a lot of detail - IIRC the SuSE 7.2 manuals had more info.

Nigel.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Midi Keyboard Reply with quote

I have the three SuSE 7.2 manuals here and I can't find anything about configuring midi specifically in any of them. In section 10.3 there is an extensive section on kernel module parameters for particular chipsets, but other than the use YaST bit, that's about all there is.

Edit: Silly me, did I say three manuals, I meant five Shocked
zarathustra

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Midi Keyboard Reply with quote

Hi, sorry for delay,
I have checked my "five manuals" as well, the one entitled applications has a section on Multimedia. In it Midi is well covered in an introductory sense and then some, up to you to read individual app manuals *sigh if your heart just sank so did mine* a few apps stand out first Rosegarden, second Jazz and Kmidi. how good they are remains to be seen as 7.2 is rather old, but I always liked it Smile
The section is not short on further reading, in fact after reading chapter five which introduces MIDI from many angles through the apps which rely on it, you'll have no shortage of avenues to explore.
Unfortunately it will require a little learning on your part, but then if you're really interested in midi it should be a joy Smile

Please post back with any success you have as I too am interested before going out and buying a midi keyboard *duck*

Oh and let this be an example of how SuSE manuals rock ie they are informative and stand the test of time rather well.
regards Zara...
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Midi Keyboard Reply with quote

That's what I get for looking in the Index (where midi, sound and audio don't get a mention) rather than the Contents. Ho hum.
otard2914@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: play texas holdem online free Reply with quote

In your free time, check out some information on texas holdem poker demo online
evilnick

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: RE: play texas holdem online free Reply with quote

Gee, does anyone know where I can play poker?

Oh, and by the way retard2914, you don't want a lot of militant Linux cognescenti on your ass, so I suggest you move your message spam elsewhere...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: