Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Site revamp
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Site revamp Reply with quote

Hi all,

We've given the site a bit of an overhaul, cleaning up the design, changing the colour scheme and adding new icons to the home (news) page. We've made various other tweaks as well, so please let me know if you encounter any glitches!

Regulars: I know some of you are using the ExtraLite theme, but you can have a quick gander at the new design by logging out. If you can even remember what the old design looked like, of course Smile

Cheers,
Mike
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

looks very tidy but too many adverts for me Wink Razz
Huw
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

I don't know if it's the way the site has been coded or what, but suddenly it doesn't expand to fill my 1440x900 monitor any more. There's a good few inches of blank space either side of each page, making the forum look ridiculously small.

Looks nice otherwise, though. Smile
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

Me too.

Got a one inch grey space at both sides.

That's at 1152x864 with Opera 9.21 on Fedora 7 using the basic theme.

The same with FireFox.
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

Lo,

The gap is intentional -- the site is designed to fit neatly into a 1024x768 screen, and not have overly long lines of text on higher resolutions. See OSNews and YouTube for similar side-gap designs.

Of course, if a lot of people would rather the site was always full-screen width, we can change it!

M
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

It still looks very tidy with the Extra-lite theme. Smile

One tiny gripe-let: the icons for the News Stories haven't all been updated to the new, shinier versions I saw on the preview screen-grab, I did think they looked better than the old ones (yes, I checked in another browser without the Extra-lite theme loaded).
CountBelisarius

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:

Of course, if a lot of people would rather the site was always full-screen width, we can change it!
M

Count me as one towards that total, please? Very Happy

Andy
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

My browser just keeps saying "Hergee berger snooger bork".

(Ok, I'm actually using the X-lite theme still and it looks fine.)

You'll be happy to know that it renders fine in IE7. Actually, I'm viewing on a widescreen as well, so I see the point of those who see the side-gaps. It doesn't bother me too much, but it is a dramatic loss of real estate.

I guess it just accents why I really appreciate the Extra-Lite theme. That renders in full widescreen glory.
ollie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

Earlier today I had no grey bands @ 1680x1050, now I have grey bands at 1280x1024 Confused As a web designer I much prefer a liquid layout that adapts to the size of the browser window, so add me as one for no grey bands. However, I do appreciate the hassles achieving a true CSS layout can be when using a Content Management System for a web site.

Just keep up the good content, that is much more important than minor layout changes. Very Happy
SootynSweep
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

M-Saunders wrote:
Lo,

The gap is intentional -- the site is designed to fit neatly into a 1024x768 screen, and not have overly long lines of text on higher resolutions. See OSNews and YouTube for similar side-gap designs.

M

Well kind of yes and no.

OsNews has a light greenish background same as the wasted side bits.

YouTube has a white background same as the wasted side bits.

LXF manages a white background with a narrow black border and then grey side bits.

So it stands out like the proverbial sore thumb that space is being wasted.

At least the adverts are a bit smaller Smile
kilikopele
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

ollie wrote:
Just keep up the good content, that is much more important than minor layout changes. Very Happy

Amen to that!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:

One tiny gripe-let: the icons for the News Stories haven't all been updated to the new, shinier versions

Now done, I see. Smile
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 2:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

I too would like to see the website adjust to the width of the screen. The extra space should be beneficiary to the contributions/replies. Fix the sidebarwidth above a certain resolution, while allowing them to shrink proportionaly on smaller screens.
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

Where's the extra-lite theme gone then?
Bring it back!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:55 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Site revamp Reply with quote

It seems it's no longer selectable in the themes drop down box, but it still works for me, having chosen it before. Perhaps Mike just wants to force everyone else to see the result of his hard work in all its glory Wink
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: