Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Debian
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 1:57 am    Post subject: Debian Reply with quote

I recently purchased a copy of Debian Linux from cheaplinux as I have been interested in trying it out for a couple of years now. However I am having a bit of bother installing the damn thing. How about an install guide for Debian in LXF? I know there are online install guides, but I am lazy and I like the LXF guides, they are easy to follow (you lot are writers after all, you know how to write for the rest of us).

I believe this would help lots of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to install Debian and reap the rewards of an apt-get system. I know about Ubuntu btw, tested it and didn't like it that much, it was too slow.

Well then?
phil_m

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:44 am    Post subject: RE: Debian Reply with quote

Mind if I ask which version of Debian you've got? If you bought Debian stable (Woody), you're probably going to be out of luck if you're trying to install it on new hardware: Woody is almost three years old at this stage.
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Debian Reply with quote

Flea wrote:
I know about Ubuntu btw, tested it and didn't like it that much, it was too slow.

If you thought Ubuntu was slow, then you're pretty much out of luck with Debian. As phil_m said, 'woody' is ancient. Ubuntu is probably the most up-to-date 'out of the box' Debian-based distro you can get.

If you configure the sources for apt-get under Ubuntu to allow 'universe' and 'multiverse' (don't ask, see http://ubuntuguide.org) you have acess to everything you would have under Debian and probably more besides.

<flame>
Kubuntu ro><ors!!!11!! KDE!! KDE!! Laughing
</flame>[/url]
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Debian Reply with quote

perhaps me thick but what does Kubuntu ro><ors!!!11!! mean?
I love Kubuntu cos I'm a simpleton and KDE is pretty shiny nice nice nice Razz Laughing Wink Cool
Flea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

phil_m wrote:
Mind if I ask which version of Debian you've got?

The box says version 3.0r4. My pc isn't very new though, a xp1700 376mb ram 40gb hdd etc.

I didn't think it mattered if the box version was old anyway? I thought you could update all the software online to the latest version, that *is* what I want apt for after all, easy upgrades! What about the unstable (sid I think its called) what age software is in there? Can I get kernel 2.6.x? latest KDE etc. ?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

Quote:
what does Kubuntu ro><ors!!!11!! mean?

Looks a bit like l33t speak to me, I expect ro><ors is supposed to mean rocks, though why something being unstable should be a good thing beats me. Wink
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

Kubuntu runs Linux ubuntu 2.6.10-5-k7 and KDE3.4 and runs nicely on my xp1200 512Mb ram
and apt runs sweet as a nut Laughing
two commands got my Nvidia card working, can't remember them now but they are somewhere on the ubuntu wiki page
HTH
Dick
evilnick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:

two commands got my Nvidia card working, can't remember them now but they are somewhere on the ubuntu wiki page
HTH
Dick

I think they are
Code:

sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx
sudo nvidia-glx-config enable

if anyone cares ...
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

Just as a matter of interest Nick, why is your on-line bulb red while everyone else's is green?
towy71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

its cos he is evil Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

Hmm, his light's just gone out, says it all really Razz
Laughing
mugstar
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Debian Reply with quote

The Debian developers have just elected a new project leader (see http://tinyurl.com/3we4a). I think forcing Debian onto a more acceptable release schedule is one of his main aims.

(ro><ors: adj., opposite of su><us, Isuppose. I dunno, I'm too old for it. Can't do irony very well either...)
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Debian Reply with quote

Flea wrote:
I recently purchased a copy of Debian Linux from cheaplinux as I have been interested in trying it out for a couple of years now. However I am having a bit of bother installing the damn thing. How about an install guide for Debian in LXF? I know there are online install guides, but I am lazy and I like the LXF guides, they are easy to follow (you lot are writers after all, you know how to write for the rest of us).

I believe this would help lots of people who otherwise wouldn't be able to install Debian and reap the rewards of an apt-get system. I know about Ubuntu btw, tested it and didn't like it that much, it was too slow.

Well then?

What problems are you having. Debian is easy to install once you can get your head around some computing fundementals. I run a semi-unstable Wooid hybrid. Am sure if you ask, we can help you get a good OS onto your drive.

Regards Erin
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Debian Reply with quote

>>
ro><ors!!!11!!
>>

raws ??, as in what a tiger does in triumph after having just bagged a missionary. Not sure about the rest(not to sure about the first either) Smile

>>
The box says version 3.0r4. My pc isn't very new though, a xp1700 376mb ram 40gb hdd etc.

I didn't think it mattered if the box version was old anyway? I thought you could update all the software online to the latest version, that *is* what I want apt for after all, easy upgrades!
>>

r4, really, thats good. deb provide a snapshot of stable from time to time but it's meant more as a proof of concept rather than as a distro, at least in the way a distro is probably most commonly though of.

If you don't mind down loading etc, then why not. A generic deb has a certain untainted feel to it. A bit like wearing a jacket with out having the logo patch stiched on the wrong side. You don't have to update the whole thing at once, but i think kde would probably be a quick desire Smile

>>
what about the unstable (sid I think its called) what age software is in there?
>>

If you want the very latest with good hw detection etc, why not look into one of the deb based distros. Which are, by definition, debian. If you didn't like Ubuntu, there are others.

Sid is the unstable branch. It's provided so that people may use it, and find buggs, if any. It will represent the most recent packages. If a package stays in unstable for a given time, with out any major problems, not neccessarily without bugs, all sw has bugs to some degree, then it will migrate to "testing", aka "sarge". There testing is continued, but no new features or alterations will be allowed. And there it stays untill an actual new release is anounced. The r1, r2, etc incrementals, they are the woody release from june/july 2002, but with some bug/security fixes applied. Not updated in the general sense of an upstream version update.

woodys installer, as i remember it, is __really__ primitive. It almost borders on braindead. But that is from early 2002. Apparently they have a new installer for sarge/sid that folks seem to speak well of. It needs to be down loaded and placed on a cdrom though.

Sid is actually just as stable as any other piece of software around, and will generally be the latest upstream version of it. All the issues associated with sid mostly concern Policy. Deb has this concept of GNU FSF Policy which all things deb orbit.

Like the above post, go for it and just post the issues Smile

jm
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Code:

Life skills: #137

Never do card tricks for the group you play poker with

david

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 4:31 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Debian Reply with quote

Quickest way to get started with Debian is to grab a netinst ISO for Sarge (Google for it - It's pretty easy to find). It's about 110Mb to download, but it will download the latest stuff from the Sarge Debian branch (aka 'testing') during the install. Every box I build uses this now, and it's nice and small enough to fit on a tiny CD-R so I can take it lots of places.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: