Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you copy a font in Linux?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: How do you copy a font in Linux? Reply with quote

There is a nice font in the Sun Java Desktop System which came as a live disk with LXF 63D (February 2005), called "Thorndale". It is the default font for the Sun Star Office, which is part of that distribution. I want to copy it and put it in my Mandrake which I have installed on my PC, but haven't figured out how to do it yet. Ay ideas?
towy71

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux? Reply with quote

Thorndale is a commercial font and can be found at ITCFonts.com or buy a copy of Star office Wink
Dick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux? Reply with quote

Fonts are stored as files in Linux just as they are in other OSes (*.ttf if it is a truetype font).

They are normally somewhere under '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/'; you could search for them using tools such as 'kfind', 'find' or 'locate'.

Fonts can be installed on Mandrake using KDE's font installer in the KDE Control Centre (kcontrol).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux? Reply with quote

I know how to install the font if I can find it. I have difficulty finding it on the live disk. I have tried "find / fonts", "find / thorndale", "find / *.ttf". But each time I get: "No such file or directory". Where do you think they have hidden it?
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux? Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Fonts are stored as files in Linux just as they are in other OSes (*.ttf if it is a truetype font).

They are normally somewhere under '/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/'; you could search for them using tools such as 'kfind', 'find' or 'locate'.

Some systems store fonts at

/usr/local/share/fonts
/usr/share/fonts/
or even
/usr/share/local/fonts

and the file name is not necessarily the same as the font name. Try copying ALL the *.ttf files to a personal directory on your hard drive and then check them using your installed system.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux? Reply with quote

You are using incorrect syntax for find.
Code:
find / thorndale

means find all files in the directorys / and thorndale. You need
Code:
find / -name '*.ttf'

Read the find man page for more information.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: How do you copy a font in Linux? Reply with quote

Thank you nellz. You were right about the syntgax of find. I am a Linux newbie, and the man pages don't make a lot of sense to me. I had, however, eventually found it by just looking around in the most likely places. Then I had a job copying it, because it wouldn't let me! But eventually I figure out a way to do it.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: