Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OpenSUSE10.3 released
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhakios

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

Now look, I'm too lazy to write a lot of guff about this, so I'm just going to copy the e-mail announcement I received, it's got all the links you might want anyway.

Quote:

The openSUSE team proudly announces the availability of openSUSE 10.3.

We're shipping all the latest open source packages that are available at time
of launch. As highlights, we'd like to point out the latest desktops, GNOME
2.20 and KDE 3.5.7 plus KDE 4 preview, our MP3 support via gstreamer plug-in
by Fluendo, a faster boot process, heavily optimised and improved package
management, 1-click install option for additional software, OpenOffice 2.3,
XEN 3.1 and VirtualBox 1.5 and, last but not least, our 1 CD installation
which provides a small but fully loaded desktop. For all the news and
impressive screenshots, have a look at http://news.opensuse.org/?p=400

It's available now to download at http://software.openSUSE.org in x86, x86-64,
and ppc versions - from our mirrors and via bittorrent.

The following ISOs can be downloaded: the 1 CD open source version with an
add-on CD containing proprietary software, such as Adobe Acrobat Reader,
RealNetworks RealPlayer, and Sun Java Runtime Environment. DVD ISOs for all
architectures are available and contain the open source version plus
proprietary add-ons. An installable Live CD will be released in October, and
the Edu add-on CD [http://en.opensuse.org/Education] will show up in the same
time frame.

As usual, openSUSE 10.3 will be available in European retail channels as a
boxed product. In North America, the box will be available through shopNovell
[http://shop.novell.com]. Due to production lead times, boxes will start to
show up on shelves and in online shops approximately on Oct 11th. Pre-orders
can be placed here: http://en.opensuse.org/Buy_openSUSE

We'd like to take this opportunity to thank the whole openSUSE community for
tons of testing, feedback, contributions and over all participation in
helping to make openSUSE 10.3 an awesome distribution. While risking missing
out some important contributors, we'd like to spotlight some
community members for their outstanding work:

- Francis for Sneak Peeks [http://news.opensuse.org/?cat=17]
- Beineri for his Quickies [http://news.opensuse.org/?cat=12]
- Benji for the 1-click install [http://news.opensuse.org/?p=133]
- Pascal and sPIN for community help [http://help.opensuse.org/]
- All the community translators -
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_Localization_Teams
Our top 3 bug reporters for openSUSE 10.3
- Andreas Hanke
- David Binderman
- Casual J. Programmer

Have a lot of fun!

Christoph, Coolo, Michael

PS:
Planning or looking for an openSUSE 10.3 launch event? Check here:
http://en.opensuse.org/OpenSUSE_10.3_Launch_Party_Locations
--
Michael Löffler, Product Management
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH - Nürnberg - AG Nürnberg - HRB 16746 - GF: Markus Rex
--

I have got my RC1 to GM deltas for i386 and x86_64 via bittorrent already and will make the isos tonight. Looks like its going to be a busy weekend. Smile
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:

I have got my RC1 to GM deltas for i386 and x86_64 via bittorrent already and will make the isos tonight. Looks like its going to be a busy weekend. Smile

Is that because as soon as you try an update, zen goes nuts sucking the life out your CPU, then totally fscks your package management database and refuses to install anything else ever.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything Smile

I hope 10.3 is a more solid release than 10.2, mainly because it would be nice not to hear about ubuntu for 5 minutes.

Damn I got out the wrong side......oh wait, I haven't slept yet to get out the wrong side....

Anyway, torrents to the ready!

EDIT:
hey, mp3 support out the box is pretty good.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

nordle wrote:

Is that because as soon as you try an update, zen goes nuts sucking the life out your CPU, then totally fscks your package management database and refuses to install anything else ever.

Not that I'm still bitter or anything Smile

No Zen in 10.3, in fact it was only really a problem in 10.1. With 10.2 you could just use openSUSE Updater which only had one significant bug (it wouldn't refresh properly after installing updates) which was fixed.
In any event, I believe in testing before upgrading a machine that otherwise works just fine.

Quote:

I hope 10.3 is a more solid release than 10.2, mainly because it would be nice not to hear about ubuntu for 5 minutes.

I haven't really had any problems with 10.2, unlike 10.1 for which they had to release updated isos.
roseway
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

I still felt that the package management in 10.2 was a pain in the neck, even though it wasn't as bad as 10.1. It was this that drove me away from Suse after using every version since 6.2. However 10.3 is very nice, and package management in Yast is much smoother and faster. Easy enabling of external repos and the one-click install are big improvements.

I did find that fonts were a bit thin-looking on my LCD monitors and I needed to build a fully functional version of freetype 2 to get good subpixel hinting. If anyone's interested in the freetype 2 packages they can be downloaded from

http://momupload.com/files/52773/freetype2-2.3.5-1.i586.rpm.html

http://momupload.com/files/52774/freetype2-devel-2.3.5-1.i586.rpm.html

Install these with

rpm -Uvh --oldpackage freetype*.rpm

and mark them as protected in Yast so they don't get accidentally updated.
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

Started it on Azureus last night. My 32 and 64 bit DVD ISOs should be finished by the time I get home from work tonight Smile

jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

omgomgomgomg i was waiting for this for yonks... does it have rt61 support snyone?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

jolharg wrote:
omgomgomgomg i was waiting for this for yonks... does it have rt61 support snyone?

I did a search in YaST for rt61 with all search options except Requires switched on and it came up with a number of packages along the lines of:

Quote:

rt2x00-kmp-default - Kernel Modules for Ralink Cards

This package contains drivers for wireless LAN adapters based on Ralink RT2400, RT2500, RT2570, RT61, and RT73 chips.

So, I suppose that means yes.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2007 10:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

I've just been playing around with some of the new compiz-fusion plugins on my test system....

Whee! Eye candy Very Happy
nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

mmm torrent seems slloooooooow. 14-17k/sec

How long did yours take?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

Well, I only needed to get the deltas from RC1 to final which were only around the 200MB mark in size, having said which they came down at around 300KB/s. So, not very long at all. I did have to guess the torrents for the deltas though as they weren't published on the download page and the mirrors hadn't been updated Wink
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

nordle wrote:
EDIT:
hey, mp3 support out the box is pretty good.

Actually, it isn't as "out of the box" as you might hope, as I found out when playing around with Amarok. As soon as it hit an mp3 (most of my stuff is ogg) it popped up a window telling me it couldn't play it and offered to help me install it. This opens a Konqueror window that offers either official support from the fluendo shop, or "community" support which might be of questionable legality in some locations.
Mp3 support looks like it's free from fluendo shop, but they offer more for money. Being an old pirate (arrrrr!) I went for community support. This adds packman and videolan repos to your configuration and installs the necessary packages. I opted for advanced mode to give me some control. This enabled me to stop it adding the standard and non-oss repos I already had from install time. I also had to deselect the java plugin to complete a successful installation.
Getting compiz-fusion worked in a similar way using the new "one click" installation method, actually several clicks, but quite easy overall.
Ram
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
. Being an old pirate (arrrrr!) .

And their's me thinking you where the cabin boy. Very Happy

It looks and feels a whole lump quicker. Got it running on a dodgy harddrive at the minute.

lubuntu LXDE 13.10 running on AMD Phenom II*4; ASUS Crosshair III Formula MB; 4 GB Ram.....
Rhakios

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

Ram wrote:

Look at the beard sonny, with a few limbs lopped off and an eye-patch I could carry off the part with no trouble. Arrrrr!

Smile
wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

Rhakios wrote:
Ram wrote:

Look at the beard sonny, with a few limbs lopped off and an eye-patch I could carry off the part with no trouble. Arrrrr!

Smile

A few limbs? last time I looked, most people only have 4, and a few is at least 3 Smile

Anyway, took the plunge and moved to 10.3 on my home machine, nice easy install, nice that you can add community repos just by clicking on them, seems a little faster to boot, a litle more responsive, software management is much better, etc.

I always do a fresh install, keep the home partition, make a new user and then move stuff over from my old home directory ( gives me an opportunity to spring clean ).

nordle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: OpenSUSE10.3 released Reply with quote

The trouble with p2p is, well, it requires p's, and preferably more than 2.

After titting about around 20k/sec, I bumbled off to an ftp site and am happily downloading (selfishly) at 475k/sec And given that I've also got zenwalk 4.8 coming down the pipe at 90k/sec, it would probably be quicker still.

joy.

I guess if the servers put more stringent caps/limits on bandwidth per connection, then it would encourage more torrent use and this would get the speed up.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: