Accents, slang, dialect and the English language

Non-computer-related chit-chat

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Re: RE: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English lang

Postby pootman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:38 am

Home Office tech support?
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:10 am

do you work for wanadoo??
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Re: RE: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English lang

Postby pootman » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:05 pm

guy wrote:Journalism is not the only profession where fiction can be more useful than accuracy. :twisted:
Oh dear gods, you're a PC World Salesman, aren't you?
This signature has been produced using traditional writing methods on behalf of The Campaign For Real Slogans.
To enjoy this signature at its best, adjust your monitor's resolution to 1024x768.
pootman
LXF regular

RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English

Postby guy » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:55 pm

All right all right. I'm a technical consultant. :twisted:
Cheers,
Guy
The eternal help vampire
guy
LXF regular

Postby 1slipperyfish » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:15 am

consulting on what?
paul
i am a follower of the culture

1slipperyfish
Forum Jester

Postby nelz » Wed Jan 09, 2008 10:53 am

Don't ask that. You'll have to pay for an answer and you still won't be any the wiser.

BTW, this is a dig at consultants, not fish, in case anyone was wondering :)
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language

Postby maxien78 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:51 pm

guy wrote:
wyliecoyoteuk wrote:
Rhakios wrote:In the Midlands, we all speak perfectly normally, it's other places that have funny accents and odd sayings. ;)

Except for the Black country, but they don't consider themselves part of the Midlands anyway

My Mum used to say that if you mixed your vowel sounds up at random, you would be bound to come up with one Black Country accent or another, for example:

"May Merm yussed tuh saa thit ef yuh mexed yowr voowel soonds erp it rindaim, yuh would bey boond tuh cerm erp weth wern Blick Cerntreh iccent owr inerther."

Hmmmmm... im from the black county in wolverhampton and i hardly understood any of that. It was a poor attempt and made no sense lol.

I think it is safe to say that the black country has its own language within a language.

Also, i class the black country as being in the west midlands, i am yet to meet someone who doesnt think it is. What does get up my nose is people calling those of us from the black country 'Brummies'

:x ARGHHHH!!!!

We are not brummies!! and they are not black country folk. Our accents are very different too, but so are the accents in dudley, tipton, walsall and all the other areas of the black country. Each area had a distict accent, but for an outsider they may all sound the same.

What i find dishearening is that the black country accent is slowly dying off, people have been called names and discriminated against because of their accents so they have adopted a 'posher' less distictive accent. It wont be long before the black country accent is a thing of the past, such a shame really concidering the history of it.

Anyways....i love my accent :D (even if i do put on a 'posher' voice whenever i pick up the phone or go to a job interview :P )
maxien78

RE: Re: RE: Accents, slang, dialect and the English language

Postby wyliecoyoteuk » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:00 am

Being "in" it and being "part of" it are 2 different things :-)

And I said "Midlands" not "west midlands"

Pedantry count 98% :-)

BTW, I like the Black country, used to be my patch years ago as a field service engineer. Great people, great beer, great food (Hot pork sandwiches, yum).
I was born a Brummie but my family came from Liverpool, so Brummies think I talk "posh".
The sig between the asterisks is so cool that only REALLY COOL people can even see it!

wyliecoyoteuk
LXF regular

Previous

Return to Off Topic