Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wake on LAN remotely

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Wake on LAN remotely Reply with quote

Hello All, I've searched these forums and the Web but cannot find a satisfactory answer to my problem ( no jibes please ! ). My home machine ( FC2 ) has an onboard ethernet card ( VIA VT6102 ) with wake on lan enabled in the bios and sits behind a Linksys router with port forwarding setup for the machine I wish to "wake". Try as I might I cannot wake it up either remotely or from my local lan, I've tried etherwake , wol and various web based tools all to no avail, has anyone had any luck with this

regards

Pete
linuxgirlie
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Wake on LAN remotely Reply with quote

For Karoshi we use WakeLan, but this we just use for the local network not though a router....

Server operating system designed for schools:www.linuxschools.com

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Wake on LAN remotely Reply with quote

Are you sure WOL is actually working on the box? The first thing I would check is that it works locally, without going through the router etc - can you check it with a laptop and a crossover cable?
pk_fox
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks I'll try it later

regards

Pete Kane
lala

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2005 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand things correctly, Wake on LAN is working at the ethernet layer and therefore the wake on lan frame is not forwarded through a router which makes decisions at the IP layer. Therefore, your machines need to be on the same subnet for this to work.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: