Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can anyone please recommend a distro?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drt

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Can anyone please recommend a distro? Reply with quote

Hi

I was wondering if anyone could please recommend me a Linux distro to use?

I have an AMD 64 3000 processor, running on an K8NS Pro motherboard, with 512mb RAM.

I don't use my computer as a server, so need something which is quick to load on startup. I currently run FC3 which takes about five minutes to boot up to the desktop, which is too long.

I'm not a complete Linux novice, but wouldn't say I was a power-user, either. I prefer the Gnome desktop, and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to the best distro I could install?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

drt
coolclassic
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Can anyone please recommend a distro? Reply with quote

Why not try Ubuntu. I use Kubuntu which favours KDE. Ubuntu is fast loading and easy to config down loads are a singe using synaptic or even apt from command line. Have a look at there forums if you don't believe me.
http://ubuntuforums.org/
bigbee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Can anyone please recommend a distro? Reply with quote

Maybe if you disable some of the services that startup at boottime you can speed up your boot-time.

Maybe you can try out debian (or one of its offspring) which let you install a minimalistic system (which can be expanded at your needs) instead of an all-in-one-preconfigured distro like RH, SuSE or Mandriva.
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Can anyone please recommend a distro? Reply with quote

I second Ubuntu. It's got Gnome, that you want, Synaptic package management - excellent; Aand excellent help at the Ubuntu forums.
RD
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2005 11:46 pm    Post subject: RE: Can anyone please recommend a distro? Reply with quote

I like mandrake though at the mo its giving me a head ach with the microphone but other than that its all good Very Happy
drt

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Can anyone please recommend a distro? Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help, I will try Ubuntu as suggested, and let you know how I get on.
marco.auer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject: RE: Can anyone please recommend a distro? Reply with quote

I would also go for Ubuntu. It is easy to use and can be very powerful.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: