Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The BBC has annoyed me again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was going to be called Windows 7 (or seven) but the execs decided they liked vista better. Any idea what happened to Windows 6 then as XP is 5.1
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A-Wing wrote:
It was going to be called Windows 7 (or seven) but the execs decided they liked vista better. Any idea what happened to Windows 6 then as XP is 5.1

Just a guess, but maybe Windows 6 = Windows Server 2003
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought 2003 was XP server rebranded when sales were bad, but I have been out of touch with Windows _technology_ for a long time
ggsinclair
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The main point that annoyed me was " And it takes a fairly computer-literate user to install and maintain the open source operating system on a personal computer".

When people who are unfamiliar with Linux read that it will, in most cases, put them off ever trying it, no matter what the rest of the article says.

I am computer illiterate and I manage - albeit with the occasional help from the kind folk of the LXF Forums!

Gordon Smile
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggsinclair wrote:
The main point that annoyed me was " And it takes a fairly computer-literate user to install and maintain the open source operating system on a personal computer".

Given the number of virus/spyware/adware riddled XP systems I see, I'd say it takes a fairly computer-literate user to install and maintain Windows as well Rolling Eyes
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel wrote:

Given the number of virus/spyware/adware riddled XP systems I see, I'd say it takes a fairly computer-literate user to install and maintain Windows as well Rolling Eyes

And even then you need to reinstall every 6 months or so with the amount of general crap it gets infested with (not just spyware / viri / adware but poorly installed apps / games / devices).
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggsinclair wrote:
>>
>>

I haven't got much of a point to say. But you are pointing out one of the classic consistencies that seem to come out of windows land. The perception they promote, that windows is easier. They have even managed to convince people that viruses and the like are actually par for the course. And even the rediculouse suggestion, that if it wasn't for those dodgy open source people then these things wouldn't be happening. What can be done ... i mean like ... if you shoot one you will need to shoot em all really. Mabe Ballmer will bounce of the stage next time he's doing his psycho-monkey interpretation. But then, maybe not I think there is still a long road to go. Also, this thing MS has come up with lately about how they intend to be more OSS compliant (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm), and how they are employing profesionals to teach them about the philosophy behind OSS. Good grief ... i smell a smirff (grin)

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
Also, this thing MS has come up with lately about how they intend to be more OSS compliant (hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm), and how they are employing profesionals to teach them about the philosophy behind OSS. Good grief ... i smell a smirff (grin)

Indeed! Doncha just love Microsoftspeak:

"We're trying to understand open source"

Billions of dollars, execs aplenty, a vast research division and the minds of thousands of coders... and they still have a hard time understanding open source?

If a 13 year old kid can understand it, and Microsoft's head honchos can't, it's a strange world Smile

M
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy

ggreaves
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I sent in my response lets see if they publish it... see below.

Microsoft's future is far from secure. I would describe it as comfortable as long as they keep on the ball. Linux, GNU/GPL and OpenSource are currently the biggest threat to Microsoft. But the new threat on the horizon is from Apple. Apple's move to Intel CPUs (from PowerPC) in Q1 of 2006 will provide a stern challenge to the Redmond Gang. With that portable Unix kernel under the Mac OS X hood, its ability to work with Linux applications, and MS Office X available for Mac, Microsoft's long term future will become uncomfortable.
Marrea
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

towy71 wrote:
Longhorn is now officially "Vista" so you can see that you are clearly being ripped off, Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dick

Have you seen Rick Maybury's column (Connected Comment) in today's Daily Telegraph?

One wag has suggested that Vista might be an acronym for Windows' top five problems: Viruses, Infections, Spyware, Trojans and Adware.

Like it !!
ggreaves
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its all 'bout spin have a look at this BBC news artical

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/4727267.stm
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>>
Anyone who wants to can take Micrix and distribute it themselves, of course, and Microsoft does accept submissions for the code base from the community
>>

(very_big_grin), I think Bill would go into some sought of fit as a result. It just isn't them. Funny story though Smile. I liked the mention of the "slipping in" of proprietry extensions under the guise of standards bit. Thats a really MS typical trick. But the scenareo will never happen. Mainly because the GPL and FOSS is one thing they just __can't__ get their heads around ... like, they even have to employ "profesionals", as they put it, to explain it to them Rolling Eyes,

I think that they think, it's really an insideous commie plot in a way. MS Linux, Nope, i really don't think so Mr BBC reporter. They would have tryed it all ready if they were capable of the concept. I think MS will continue, in full belief, with the 1998 October FUD plan. And so are a danger to the free world. But, what will they come up with next (grin), after SCO ??t. Though that was more just an opportunism than a real strategy on MSs' part.

The scenareo in that article would make a really good tv comedy show though. But who could live with being lumbered with playing Ballmer (yuk). The problems with casting are many (grin).

jm

nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
Mainly because the GPL and FOSS is one thing they just __can't__ get their heads around ... like, they even have to employ "profesionals", as they put it, to explain it to them Rolling Eyes,

You don't really believe that line do you? The whole thing about investigating OSS is so they don't have to actually do or say anything about it.

Hmm , I wonder if "No Paul, I haven't sent you my copy for the next issue yet, because I'm still researching and investigating it" would work? Laughing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: