Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SCOver and out?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

The brief write-up HERE from Texstar's site leads to some other news regarding the SCO vs Linux case.

Apparently Novell never signed over their Unix rights to Santa Cruz Organisation (now part of SCO), but licensed them to sell Unix on their behalf, for which they got 5% commission. So Novell have demanded their other unpaid 95% which is more money than SCO have.

Enjoy!

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

Mwahahaha! I'm off to McDonald's round the corner in a sec (I know, I know) but perhaps ol' Darl McB will be serving my fries now...

M
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

No way! I reckon that plenty of dosh got salted away before the bubble burst!

Asus Asus M2N32 WS Pro+Athlon AM2/4200+ — GeForce 7600GT — 2Gb Cosair VS RAM — 500Gb WD5000AAKS SATA Drive — PCLinuxOS
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

Yeah, sadly, that's the case. Darl and his cohorts will have pocketed a nice chunk of cash, and they'll wander off carelessly as SCO burns to the ground. Then they'll get equally lucrative exec jobs elsewhere. Sigh. To us:

Darl and co. behaved badly, destroyed their business and didn't remotely understand the technology behind it all.

But to some other bunch of execs out there:

Darl and co. resynergised a strategic paradigm which challenged IBM to redevelop cashflow systems out-the-box. Darl's a daring exec, willing to take on the big companies, and it was all those Linux commies' fault, right?

Humans, eh? What are you going to do?!

Mike
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

<Bender> Kill all humans! </Bender>
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:36 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

Bite my shiny metal @ss!
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

No thank you Erin.
Incidentally, I have watched all the episodes of Futurama there are and so far I have not been able to discern the metallic equine to which Bender refers.

Very Happy
andychannelle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 10:32 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

It's funny. I got a quartet of press releases from SCO this morning, all telling how great OpenServer 6 is and one saying how rubbish Linux is. This is the usual thing you would expect, but in the light of these developments it looks a little different.
I'm just awaiting a response from SCOs PR. I'll keep you posted. Interesting times...
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

<More Bender> When will people realise that all humans are equally inferior to robots... </Coilette> etc.

M
andychannelle
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:04 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

My non-mysterious but highly placed SCO source says that the company interprets the agreement with Novell on licence fees that it extends only to existing licencees. So 95 per cent of any dosh from IBM's AIX contract would go to Novell, but the Sun and Microsoft licences are new business and are not covered.

Someone - probably not me - ought to look through the asset purchase agreement (APA) before the celebrations begin.
Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

I had to look that up Rhakios. Am more knowledgable for the doing though so thanks.

Bender: "Hey. What kind of party is this? There's no booze and only one hooker."

E
Rhakios

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

Oh alright, another one of my favourite benderisms:

Bender, talking in his sleep: Hey there sexy Momma...

... how'd you like to kill all humans?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

"Don't worry Bender -- there's no such thing as 2"

M
davecs
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

The latest stuff on Groklaw would suggest that far from Linux nicking SCO's Unix code, actually SCO nicked GPL Linux Code! According to a deposition from a former SCO employee!

The plot thickens ...

Erin
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject: RE: SCOver and out? Reply with quote

"Comedy's a dead art form. Now tragedy, that's funny."

E
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: