Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Retro gaming article - space filler ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurrah for Elite! And a slightly louder Hurrah for Frontier, which ate up an alarming amount of my youth trading saved games with friends. Somewhere I still have scraps of paper containing outdoor worlds at bizarre coordinates like -4000,-1000 etc. My dream is to own a real-life Panther Clipper one day...

M
bhoggett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the article strangely compelling because even though there have been lots of retro-games articles and a myriad of magazines - and there's even a dedicated mag - they all look at it from the Windows perspective. Seeing it from a Linux perspective was refreshing.

(and of course Amithlon got a completely gratuitous mention too Razz)

evilnick wrote:
On the C64, it was probably Lords of Midnight.

Going a bit off-topic here - or at least on a tangent - did you know Alan Cox once started writing a conversion of this to GTK+? Now there's a spooky link considering Alan was featured in the same issue...

BTW, for Lords of Midnight fans (like me) there's a multi-user on-line version called Midnight/MU. You can google for the link as I don't want to spam the forum. Beware, don't join if you value your job, relationships, social life etc. It's bad for your sanity.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bhoggett wrote:
(and of course Amithlon got a completely gratuitous mention too Razz)

If you knew who had written the Amiga emulation part, you would not be at all surprised by that Smile
bhoggett

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nelz wrote:
If you knew who had written the Amiga emulation part, you would not be at all surprised by that Smile

Once I read it, I had my suspicions. Wink

However, I was still surprised to see it there because it is more relevant through its Linux links than through its retro-gaming ones. A shame it died when it did, or else it might have warranted an LXF featurette at some point. Crying or Very sad
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, I received a mail from Cloanto earlier today, there's a new version of Amiga Forever coming out next week.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: