weird cookies from this site

Comments and suggestions about this site

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:06 am

Hi all, thanks for investigating this. I'll talk to our ad people and see if I can find out what's going on.

And happy new year!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 am

I think I've found the culprit -- if anyone sees anything else odd, please let me know!

M
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Postby towy71 » Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:21 pm

Now we're all agog in anticipation of you telling us what is/was going on :)
still looking for that door into summer
towy71

Postby Marrea » Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:59 pm

M-Saunders wrote:I think I've found the culprit
M

1sf (troll)?
Marrea
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:48 pm

LOL! :D

:mrgreen:
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby Dutch_Master » Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:14 pm

I still see traffic from .ru domains when (re)loading an LXF page, including, but not limited to:

catalogsearcheasy.ru
subcatalogue.ru
go.richtraffic.ru
advertcatalogue.ru
directorysearch.ru
poshars.ru

I suggest it might be wise for Future Publ. to implement some sort of 'code of conduct' for their advertisers: no known scam countries are allowed, on punishment of a very high fine...
Last edited by Dutch_Master on Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_Master
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Sat Jan 10, 2009 3:15 pm

Mm, yes. The 'hits' that Adblock Plus was showing for the filter '*.ru' stopped yesterday (?and the day before?), but they've started up again today. About a hundred hits today so far. :(

Mike, can you give us some more information when you're back in the office? Is this sinister or just irritating? Is there anything users need to do beyond the various things suggested in the thread?
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby RedWillow » Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:56 am

M-Saunders wrote:if anyone sees anything else odd, please let me know!

Here's odd. In Ubuntu I'm getting one hit per page visited for my '*.ru' adblocking rule in Adblock Plus in Firefox. In MacOS X Leopard (Firefox set up the same) I'm getting no hits. I noticed this the other day, but I've only tested MacOS and Linux side-by-side just now. In fact my observation of the hits stopping in my last post may have been because I was using my Mac.

I'd noticed (on the Mac) last Wednesday or Thursday that the *.ru hit count had gone down to zero by itself (about a week ago I was getting hits in MacOS as well) which is odd in itself.

What on Earth is going on? :? Anyone willing to try this out in Windows? I'm not!

Edit: by the way, the forum clock is slow (again). :wink:
RedWillow
LXF regular

Postby M-Saunders » Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:16 am

Hi all,

Someone has gained access to the HTML behind one of the PostNuke advertising blocks, and is using it to drive traffic to another website. I've found the culprit now and have put things in place to (hopefully!) stop this happening again. Apologies for the hassle -- just remove your .ru cookies and it should be smooth sailing from here!

Mike
M-Saunders
LXF regular

Previous

Return to This Website