gnu scientific library, mandriva 2005, lxf67d

Comments, suggestions and questions about Linux Format magazine and the coverdiscs

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

gnu scientific library, mandriva 2005, lxf67d

Postby mm2ps » Sun Aug 14, 2005 12:19 pm

Hi,

I've installed the shared library for GSL (gnu scientific library) from the mandriva cover disk, LXF67, but I can't find the headers; <gsl/....>. Can someone tell me what to do?

thanks,

Dug
mm2ps

RE: gnu scientific library, mandriva 2005, lxf67d

Postby nelz » Sun Aug 14, 2005 2:41 pm

Did you install from an RPM? If so, you need to install the corresponding -devel package to get the headers.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mm2ps » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:59 pm

Hi,

I installed GSL with the mandriva package manager, not RPMing. I also tried searching the cover disk using the package manager.

Where would the corresponding -devel packages be? I have tried blanketly installing the C development packages, suggested by the package manager, from the cover disk, also no use.

Any more suggestions?

thanks,

Dug
mm2ps

Postby nelz » Mon Aug 15, 2005 4:13 pm

The Mandrive package manager installs from RPMs. Search it for gsl (or whatever the package was called) it should show up the one you installed and another one called something like gsk-devel. Install that.

RPM-based distros usually split the header files from the package off from the binary and put them in a -devel package, so this is the first place to look when something complains about missing headers.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby mm2ps » Wed Aug 17, 2005 3:00 pm

Thanks for your help nelz.

I gave up with the disc and downloaded and installed from source.

Dug
mm2ps

Return to Magazine and coverdiscs