Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Installing Linux to a USB hard drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grunt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject: Installing Linux to a USB hard drive Reply with quote

Hi

I have an old laptop hard drive in an enclosure that plugs in to my USB port. I tried to install the Mandriva cover disc to this so that I can keep Windows and Linux on separate drives, and automatically boot Linux just by plugging it in (the laptop lets me prioritise a USB hard drive at boot). I have little spare capacity on the main and my girlfriend uses the machine for Windows, hence wanting to keep separate.

Nice idea, unfortunately the set up only recognises IDE and SCSI drives so does anyone know of an alternative install option/ way round this? Ideally I don't want to spend more money on alternative connections for the drive!

Also, as it was a replacement drive in an old laptop it is formatted as an 8gb drive due to old BIOS, but has 20gb capacity, I presume reformat at install overcomes this?!

Help appreciated!
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 9:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Installing Linux to a USB hard drive Reply with quote

the setup should see the USB disk as a scsi drive (probably /dev/sda), and yes format during install wil also repartition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: