Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kernel panic on startup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grunt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:13 pm    Post subject: Kernel panic on startup Reply with quote

Hi

I'm running the Debian environment on a second machine and want to uninstall it from my old laptop as it is now my girlfriend's. I installed it to a USB hard drive, but it never ran due to a kernel panic on init when I tried to start it up?!

Simply unplugging the USB drive is obviously no probs, but how straightforward is removing the GRUB boot loader from her machine without being able to get in to Debian in the first instance?

Also, kernel panic, what was that all about?!!

Thanks
drws
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Kernel panic on startup Reply with quote

Without knowing too much about your kernel panic, but seeing that after you installed debian on the usb hdd it never started even once, I would guess that the kernel/ramdisk didn't have any drivers for the usb hdd. (The installer kernel might have. I haven't used any recent debian installers)

As for grub, you don't remove it as such, you need to replace it with another boot loader.
If there is no OS on the laptop at the moment and you're going to install one, then that OS will install whatever boot loader it needs over the top of grub.
grunt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much appreciated. The laptop runs XP and this is how I need to leave it for my girlfriend. How would I go about replacing it in this case? The GRUB boot is located on the USB drive.

Thanks for this, getting started with Linux seems to be the toughest bit!
drws
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to re-install your windows boot loader, you need to boot from your xp cd, but instead of going though a normal setup, you have the option of using the "Recovery Console". When running the recovery console you can use the command 'fixmbr' to write a new windows boot loader. (More about the recovery console here -> http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/recovery_run_console.mspx )

Its worth sticking with Linux, being free and all means you can try it as many times as you like in as many ways as you like.
grunt

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really useful thanks.

I'll def stick with Linux though, the community seems brilliant!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Magazine and coverdiscs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: