Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help in choosing printer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Real J.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

I am considering buying a color laser printer (probably sometime in July) and currently am considering one of two choices: either HP Color Laserjet 2550L or Samsung CLP550. The HP model is listed as working perfectly in Unixprinting website, but there is no record on the Samsung model. However, both printers are listed as having Postscript and Linux support on the netstore website so I guess they should both work.

The HP model is tempting due to its relatively small size, relatively light weigth (a bit over 20 kg) and cheap price as I don't have much space and am not too strong. On the other hand the Samsung model is larger and heavier (over 30 kg) but has duplex printing and has gotten better reviews in local computer magazines. I presume it should work fine due to listed Postscript and Linux support even though the CLP500 model is listed as "Paperweight" on unixprinting site.

Which one should I choose ? The price difference is no big deal but I wouldn't like to lug around a large and heavy box.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

While I can't recommend the Samsung printer, I notice that they have a Linux driver available for download for the CLP-550.

Have a look here. The manual, also available for download, might tell you more.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

We have a Samsung CLP-500N at work. It claims Linux support, and even came with a Linux driver, but I haven't (yet) managed to make it work.
Installing it put the Linux Printing System on my SuSE 8.2 box - it appears to send the print, but nothing comes out of the printer.
Now, this is the "N" version, that contains it's own print server, and all the instructions that come with the Linux driver are for the non-"N" version (parallel or USB), so there's a good chance I got something wrong when setting it up. I didn't pursue it at the time because (a) I'm planning to update to SuSE 9.2 as soon as I get some time, (b) I'm too busy right now and (c) it isn't important - we got the printer to print brochure inserts from Windoze.
As a Windoze printer it's great - the quality is fantastic, and it's pretty quick (especially compared to the Colour LaserJet 5 I'm running at home Wink ). The built-in duplex is a must-have for work.
If you are prepared to play around a bit, the Samsung could well be a good one to go for. Especially if it has Postscript (the 500 doesn't) as it then becomes very easy to drive - just send raw PS to it.
Otherwise, HP are usually a pretty safe bet...

Hope this helps Smile

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

I went to the HP site for you and found the HP Color Laserjet 2550L does offer duplex printing. I also went to linuxprinting.org and found additional information about Samsung, you may or may not have known. Here's the link:
http://linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Samsung-CLP-500

The comments don't seem to be too supportive, but they don't completely dismiss this Samsung model.

The printer driver you use, will also determine whether you get full functionality of your printer. Not all printer drivers are created equal.

For a fully functioning printer driver for the HP, goto:

http://www.easysw.com/printpro/

Hope this helps.
skecs

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 1:13 pm    Post subject: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

I have been using the Samsung CLP-500 with the network model and have no problems with printing in over 12 months. I have used Red Hat 9.0, Suse Linux 9.0/9.1/9.2 and it is just a couple of little things - you need to find one particular set of instructions and download the driver from the US site.

Details are below:

Samsung CLP-500 (with Network) Printer Setup via Samsung software:
---------------------------------------------------
1 - Samsung Laser Printer User's Guide is on the CD at /manual/EnGuide.pdf. See section 7.10 of the guide for Linux setup.

1a - Alternate - Download 20040224170114656_lpp-1.1.2-7-i386.tar.gz from US Web site and extract to /opt/samsung (preferred)

2 - To install insert CD (or go to directory /opt/samsung) that came with printer and run as root "setup.sh". Software is installed to /usr/local/linuxprinter. Expert install method used but all default options were accepted as follows:

Install part = /usr/local/linuxprinter
Path for sym links = /usr/bin
Install common files = Y
Install CUPS = N
Install printing system = Y
Print system = CUPS
Install startup menu items (KDE or Gnome) = Y

3 - To uninstall run as root "linux-uninstall".

4 - In my case for SuSE 9.1 due to linux-config authorisation fail I changed in /etc/cups/cupsd.conf "AuthType BasicDigest" to "AuthType None" and restarted CUPS (rccups restart) prior to using linux-config. Set your permissions to suit your needs. Read the docs starting with the comments in cupsd.conf.

4a - Open "linux-config" program as root to add printer. Use shell or KDE or Gnome. Using KDE: K > Applications > Configuation Tool

4b - Click "Add Printer". This button is only available for root. A CUPS authentication window will appear asking for user (root) and password. Note that CUPS permissions must be taken care of to make the connection.

4c - Make selections:
Model = Samsung CLP-500 Series (SPL-C)
Connection = Socket (Direct to Port Printing); Settings 192.168.0.2; Port 9100
Settings = Extra - 600 DPI; Duplex - Long Edge; Page Size - A4;
Queue = no changes made

4c - Click "OK" and window should appear with message:
"New Printer 'lp' Successfully Configured!"
This printer will appear at http://localhost:631/printers.

5 - Print test page, adjust settings, and trouble shoot as needed.

6 - Change cupsd.conf back to original settings and restart cups again.

Steve Olive -
... (0)>
... / /\
.. / / .)
.. V_/_
Linux Powered!
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

Thanks, Steve - I'm hoping to find the time to update my work box to SuSE 9.2 in the next couple of weeks so I'll give the printer another go at the same time.
I did find the Linux driver & instructions on the Samsung CD, but it seemed to be all geared up for non-network stuff. It may be that SuSE 8.2 is doing to me what your 9.1 system did to you, and that it will all work "out of the box" with 9.2... we'll see Smile

Nigel.
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

Well, that'll teach me to give up too soon Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

I printed out this thread for future reference, and on a whim I sent it to the Samsung CLP-500N ... it printed perfectly !

I don't recall restarting CUPS when I originally installed the printer driver, but I have rebooted since then so I'm guessing that was the missing link.

Many thanks, Steve, for prodding me into trying again - this is a fantastic printer for the money, and I can now wholeheartedly recommend it !

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Nigel.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

Useful information here for the Samsung CLP 500. I have been using three of them under various windows for a good few months. It's an excellent printer albeit a bit expensive on refils (but then we do a lot of printing) I haven't found anyone that can refil the cartridges yet either.

One small quirk with one of them being the used toner sensor the toggle in front of it got in the way of the light sensor even when a new one was fitted - i simply broke it off and keep an eye on the used toner level now. (As always be careful if emptying it - it is carcinogenic as is all toner.)

quality speed etc are all great and its quiet too.

I am just about to set up some (Suse 9.3) Linux machines, as a newbie to Linux if not IT generally, and the above will really help in knowing that a/. its possible so I won't spit the dummy out with it until I get there now and b/. the techie info contained above. Thanks for publishing it up.

Paul
Nigel
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Need help in choosing printer Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
One small quirk with one of them being the used toner sensor the toggle in front of it got in the way of the light sensor even when a new one was fitted - i simply broke it off and keep an eye on the used toner level now.
Paul

We had that problem on ours recently as well - had the sensor replaced under warranty. The engineer initially tried modifying the toggle, but the problem returned in a couple of days. He then fitted a new sensor, and it's worked fine since.
Apparently this has happened to a few of these printers - sometimes trimming a bit off of the toggle works, other times it doesn't. Sounds like they had a batch of not-quite-up-to-spec sensors.

By the way - the toggle is only there to detect if the used toner bottle is missing (or not fitted properly) - even without it the sensor should still detect if the used toner bottle is full or not.

Nigel.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Help! All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: