Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TuxRadar.com profile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

How the f!@# do you edit your profile on TuxRadar.com?

It is one of the least user friendly layouts I have used in a long time. A login and logout area in the footer of the page. I've clicked on every menu item, logged out, logged in, used the search box, guessed at obvious links but there is no way to access or edit your profile.

I'm serious about the apparent decline of the Linux Format web sites with the opening of TuxRadar.com. The front page of linuxformat.com/linuxformat.co.uk has a message that a new front page will appear that is two months old. What's gone wrong at LXF Towers?
towy71

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

I've forgotten the password that I used on tuxradar, I've requested a reminder but still not able to login or post comments Rolling Eyes
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

quick --- dump all those 'shares' while you still can.

Evil or Very Mad

jm

The FVWM wm -=- www.fvwm.org -=-

Somebody stole my air guitar, It happened just the other day,
But it's ok, 'cause i've got a spare ...
donoreo
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

Perhaps it is a Future Publications thing. Digital Camera Mag has been promising a new site since Sept 2008.
Hudzilla
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:40 pm    Post subject: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

Hey!

There's no way to access or edit your profile. That's because there *is* no profile. We almost left accounts out entirely because there's there's nothing you can do with them - we don't use avatars, we don't use signatures, we don't have polls, and neither do we intend to at this time. If we let you edit your account, the only thing you'd be able to do is change your password.

As for the new LXF site, work is definitely under way - Mike is working on it full time right now, and it will be up as soon as he's done. Towy: email me and I'll set your password for you.

Despite the double bank holiday here in the UK, we've just finished the latest LXF and in a few days will finish another special edition of the magazine, this time written from scratch. I know you want more website work to happen immediately, but websites are *not* our top priority - making a kick-ass Linux magazine is our top priority.

Paul
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm    Post subject: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

Also, rather than just revamping the front page as I mentioned, we're switching to a new site engine that'll be cleaner and faster. We'll still have the forums, archives, blog, wiki and other content -- but the new engine will make things run smoother and give us more room to try out new ideas.

As Paul says, the mag is our #1 priority. We're only a small team and my main focus is on making the best possible LXF DVDs, so I just have small pockets of time to work on the website. But the new site is coming along well -- good things come to those who wait Wink We should have most of it in place by the end of next week.

M
ollie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

I just thought there must be a profile (signature block) because of the login, so you knew who posted replies instead of 3 gazillion "Anonymous Penguins" Wink

I know the magazine is number one priority and then the LXF Specials, but just a little bit of extra information would keep the mushrooms happy Very Happy
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

Sounds exciting --- 'from scratch' definitly sounds serious ... Smile

jm

ollie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

jjmac wrote:
Sounds exciting --- 'from scratch' definitly sounds serious ... Smile

jm

Laughing - New Content Management System? New Forum Software? I'm sure Mike is totally bald trying that!
jjmac
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: TuxRadar.com profile Reply with quote

Best way to go --- patching up an existing file/file set, if it is large, can really end up turning into a mess. Best to just save it then rewrite, using the parts that are still considered functional from the previous.

jm

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> This Website All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: