Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Syntext Announced Serna Free XML Editor
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Almost there Reply with quote

Tallbob wrote:
Run Serna as: /usr/local/bin/serna-4.1

Try typing "serna-4.1" or "/usr/local/bin/serna-4.1" in a terminal window. If that doen't work try "sh serna-4.1" or "sh /usr/local/bin/serna-4.1".
Tallbob

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:58 am    Post subject: serna.bin Reply with quote

Now I'm getting an error that says serna.bin not available. I can clearly see it in the browser. What up with that?
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please show your working, i.e. the exact command as you used it and the exact error from the console.
Tallbob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Almost there Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I got it working. The first thing I did was replace Ubuntu with Open SUSE 11.1 (with a disc from Linux Format magazine). After getting that running and updated I downloaded the rpm package from the Serna web site. I think my problem before was that in the download manager in Ubuntu I let the archive manager open the download. In Open SUSE the default is to open with the package installer and that worked. I think if I had changed the opening software under Ubuntu's download manager, it may have worked. I'm letting my newness show, I didn't think to change from the defaults in Ubuntu. When I got the software installed first off I looked for it in the Application Browser, not there. Next I checked in the Software Manager, there it was. It took a little scouting around but I found the serna.sh file under usr/local/serna-4.1/bin. I double clicked it and there was the editor. Yea! Very Happy I copied the serna.sh file to the desktop and it works fine. I would like to get Serna to show up in the Applications Browser just like regular installed applications, how do I do that? Confused
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which desktop did go with Gnome or KDE but the procedure is similar for both right-click the icon for the Application menu there should be an option to Edit (edit the menu ) the interface just differs between the Gnome/KDE but is fairly straight forward you will be able to figure it out Wink

Enjoy the Choice Smile
Tallbob

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

To Rhakios, nelz, ollie, lok1950

Thank you!

I made a working desktop short cut, all is right with the world.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you! Reply with quote

Tallbob wrote:
I made a working desktop short cut, all is right with the world.

Wow! I had no idea that desktop shortcuts were so powerful Smile
Tallbob

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:26 am    Post subject: Desktop Shortcut Reply with quote

It may not seem like much but I wasn't able to get Serna to show up as an installed application on the Application Manager. The only way to get it to run was to dive through the file manager to the executable. A real nuisance for every day use. A desktop shortcut solved that issue.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: