Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fast browsing OS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

Who knows of a free, fast OS that is comprised entirely of a standards-compliant browser and networking stack?

I'm not techie enough to program one from scratch, I'm going to have to learn to shrink down a µClibc/busybox/linux if there isn't one out there.
johnhudson
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

AFAIK Splashtop which is now part of some motherboards provides this.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

Mostly on the deluxe boards ATM with a lot of rebranding too.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

Thanks for your information. I may have to recreate something like this on an embedded board... the web programming I can do, but not the embedded stuff.
ollie

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:46 am    Post subject: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

I know there is an article about installing Splashtop to Eee PC on the eeeuser forums and you can get the source code to Splashtop. They are also talking about a SDK being released in the next few months which may allow you to fully customise Splashtop for your requirements.
lok1950
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:00 am    Post subject: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

This showed up in the help section today http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=9564 but is a beta for a commercial offering,so waiting for that SDK maybe the best option.

Enjoy the Choice Smile
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

I'm worried about using ROMs as there might be security vulnerabilities we can't fix.
If this can be installed onto a disk and be just as fast, we're all good.
Rhakios

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

I wonder how compliant MenuetOS is, being built in asm it is certainly quick enough.
ollie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

jolharg wrote:
I'm worried about using ROMs as there might be security vulnerabilities we can't fix.
If this can be installed onto a disk and be just as fast, we're all good.

Booting from a ROM is always going to be a lot quicker than hard drive. The EEPROM used for embedded OS can have the hardware specs "hard" coded onto the chip, effectively bypassing POST. That is how the "5 second" boot times are achieved. To access any OS installed on a hard drive POST must be completed just to hand over control from BIOS to OS on the hard drive.
jolharg
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Fast browsing OS Reply with quote

Well, I could always use OpenBIOS to make it a bit faster...to make it boot from the disk in a second. And of course, use a flash disk...
LoL
LXF regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you develop your own with QNX?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Other OS All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: