Slampp: Unable to install lilo or grub to partition

The place to post if you need help or advice

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Slampp: Unable to install lilo or grub to partition

Postby BillFoster » Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:47 am

I found Slampp on Linux Format's cover Disk very interesting, especially the Web admin program Webmin.
However try as hard as I could I could not get either Lilo or grub to install on its root partition, in this case /dev/sdb13.
I tried downloading grub; compiling it; etc= no joy no grub screen at all
I tried downloading Zenwalk grub2 and installed that and it refused to install to other than the MBR
So I've ended up having to start it from Grub4Dos, or Loadlin
p.s. On that computer I have on hard drive 0 P1=windows98/dos622 on fat16 P2=Windows 2000; P3= Windows XP, and a number of logical fat32 drives.
On Hard drive 1, I have Suse 11.1;fedora 11; Suse 10.3; Mepis 8;
Slackware 13; all on two partitions sharing a swap partition at the start of the hard drive, and finally Slampp on the 13th last partition.
It would be nice to be able to boot Slampp from XOSL2 directly.
Any suggestions?
BillFoster

Postby BillFoster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:40 am

Oooooooooooooooops: Wrong Magazine!!!! Disk came from Linux Magazine!
BillFoster

Postby LeeNukes » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:23 am

Heh, I have that same magazine, not tried slammp though, I don't find installing CentOS, Apache, MySQL particularly hard. Plus I also find it concerning if I have to rely on updates from some random distro. I'd rather go for something that has a big backing.
LeeNukes
LXF regular

Postby BillFoster » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:32 pm

Yes, that is sensible. Although installing Suse| Fedora| Centos| Mepis| Slackware| Mandriva can take a long time, it is pretty sinple to get any of these to install the boot loader on the root partition. the only popular one I've found difficult in this respect is Ubuntu, which seems determined to install grub on the MBR. I imagine Ubuntu is popular because it is easy for soneone who is not very computet literate to install and get going.
BillFoster

Return to Help!