Linux Format forums Forum Index Linux Format forums
Help, discussion, magazine feedback and more

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerdmaster

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

Fedora Core4, what do I think?

It Sucks! I regret upgrading! And Why? Well where do I begin:

1) Strange menu configurations
2) Incompatible libraries
3) Nothing compiles anymore (xine, vmware kernel module)
4) No plugins for totem

I think I'm going to delete it and go back to core3!

Has anyone else had any bad experiences?
M-Saunders
LXF regular

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: RE: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

I've yet to try it myself, but I've heard of quite a few problems too. There was a thread on here recently (in the Magazine section I think) which discussed the below-average score FC4 received in its LXF review. Still, bear in mind that FC is intended to be a bleeding-edge distro and testbed for new ideas/apps that go into RHEL, so if absolute stability and smoothness is essential you're best looking elsewhere.

M
ryptyde

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm waiting to try it when it comes out on the DVD? I recall reading that there were "extras" that were not included and I presume they were the developement packages.

I have been using Xandros 3.0.1 OCE as of late and it was lacking the tools needed to put together some packages also.I used the Xandros Network on "expert" mode and pick up my configuration tools as needed.

Before installing Xandros I was using FC3 and had all of the developement stuff on the disc,kind of a drag to have to download on dial-up,eh.
witt0191

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update to FC4 when it was released and remarks are right that lots of stuff does not compile straight on to it

i found that its mainly due to updates in library files and the worng version being installed

thankfully the downloaded dvd image seames to contain alot of the missing file dependencies and they can just be installed as required, though it is certainly not as ready to go as previous core's

on the plus point it is nice to update everything and xen is just cool
shaman47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using Linux for 6 months now and have three distos on my computer. I use SuSE 9.1 (yes i know, its obsolete!) Kanotix KDE3.4 and FC4. But on this computer, FC4 runs slowly and I only like it because its up to date. FC4 runs KDE 3.4, like kanotix, is quite themed up, like kanotix, and kanotix may not be a major distro, but its faster than FC4! Also, I agree that nothing compiles, its allways cant find this, cant find shared library, and I think "well why not download them off that yum thing, thats if FC are bothered to put them on!" Mr. Green
ryptyde

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad experience which to me is a BIG one is that FC4 doesn't recognize my modems anymore.The good part is that the upgrade from 3 to 4 saved my previous installed stuff eg: multimedia-vlc,xine,helix,grip,k3b etc.

My games were saved also but somehow my extra screensavers disappeared but then again my extra web browser are there if I can only get connected again.

Basically I judge a distro on its ability to connect to the `net with little or no problem and FC4 fails the test for me.

I do not have "win-modems" and have connected using either modem on various other Linux distros with virtually no problems.

My two "dis-owned" modems are a US Robotics 5610B and a Best Data 56SX-92 (serial modem).

Phil
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

nerdmaster wrote:
Fedora Core4, what do I think?

It Sucks! I regret upgrading! And Why? Well where do I begin:

1) Strange menu configurations
2) Incompatible libraries
3) Nothing compiles anymore (xine, vmware kernel module)
4) No plugins for totem

I think I'm going to delete it and go back to core3!

Has anyone else had any bad experiences?

1) Eh? Not much different from FC3, better than most distros using latest Gnome
2) Incompatible with what? FC3? Probably, I would be surprised if they were compatible. FC1 -> FC2 was worse.
3) Install the GCC3 compatibility package and it will
4) Ditch totem and install mplayer, it even has a moz/firefox plugin

My experiances with FC4 are generally good, although the apt repositries are a bit thin on new releases so far and I got fed up of building new RPMs for everyone.
I still uses FC4 on my server designs at work but use Ubuntu on my desktops now.
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

FC4 is very bad I must say.
Don't talk to me about ATI drivers or I may kick you. FC3 had it almost right, then FC4 came out and all hell broke loose. For VMware you need a patch to use networking on your virtual machines.

I suggest if your going to use it have a nVidia graphics card or don't use it at all.

Zeb
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

VMware5 networking patch:
1. Install vmware without networking support
2. download http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2005/07/10/191
3. install patch

Hope this helps for all those FC lovers Razz
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

ZebCarnell wrote:
FC4 is very bad I must say.
Don't talk to me about ATI drivers or I may kick you. FC3 had it almost right, then FC4 came out and all hell broke loose.

Now you know why everyone says not to touch ATi with a 10 foot barge pole if you use Linux.

Quote:
For VMware you need a patch to use networking on your virtual machines.

I suggest if your going to use it have a nVidia graphics card or don't use it at all.

Zeb

As far as I am aware you have to patch most distros for VMWare, (SUSE is a possible exception) most VMWare users shouldn't really have a problem with this as its not a hard thing to do.
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

Quote:
Now you know why everyone says not to touch ATi with a 10 foot barge pole if you use Linux.

I don't had a choice. lolz I built my pc back in 2003 and haven't had to update it much. Now I'm doing a full time Networking course and don't have the money to update anything and I can't miss an issue of LXF. Plus ATI on FC3 was smooth sailing but now......
Quote:
As far as I am aware you have to patch most distros for VMWare, (SUSE is a possible exception) most VMWare users shouldn't really have a problem with this as its not a hard thing to do.

Goto the VMware site.
Code:
http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

A couple more than just Suse.
Quote:
# Host Operating Systems
# Popular 32-bit Linux distributions from Red Hat, SUSE and Mandrake; select RHEL and SLES 64-bit OSs

Looks like Suse is the way I'm going, ATI also supports Suse.
A-Wing
LXF regular

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest! Reply with quote

You don't have the money for a Nvidia but you can afford SUSE?? I think OpenSUSE and Pro Eval don't have the patch installed (I could be wrong as I haven't installed them).

As far as I am aware the patch isn't open source, hence why only the commercial distros have it.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest Reply with quote

A-Wing wrote:
As far as I am aware you have to patch most distros for VMWare

I've never had to patch Linux to run VMWare. there were some issue with V4.x on 2.6 kernels, but they were minor , nothing to do with the distro and fixed in V5.

The reason for the ATI card working better in FC3 than FC4 is ATI's slow release cycle, which means their drives often have problems with newer software. If you want decent 3D performance in Linux, go nVidia. If 3D is not important, use the X-Org drivers.
ZebCarnell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest Reply with quote

Thats the thing you see I got Suse 9.2 on LXF64 back in March if it can't support VMware fine with me I'll just use an alternative. I'm more of an ATI person anyway (go hl2). I don't have a DVD drive on my PC but one on my laptop. Never done a network install as of yet so I will learn if I want to do that.
nelz
Site admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Fedora Core 4, Not Flamebait, Honest Reply with quote

The distro shouldn't have to support VMWare. VMWare are the people charging huge amounts of money for their software, it's up to them to ensure it works on the computers of the people they want to sell it to.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Linux Format forums Forum Index -> Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: