Simple query...

Discussion topics, Linux related - not requests for help

Moderators: ChrisThornett, LXF moderators

Simple query...

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:07 pm

Hi All,
Just seen the 'news' bit about Mandriva 2006. I know it may be bleedin' obvious; but what is the 'final RC before going gold' mean? Just curious.
Regards,
Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Re: Simple query...

Postby sandyman » Sun Sep 11, 2005 3:37 pm

eastcoastdrifter wrote:Hi All,
Just seen the 'news' bit about Mandriva 2006. I know it may be bleedin' obvious; but what is the 'final RC before going gold' mean? Just curious.

Release Candidate
sandyman

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:24 pm

Release Candidate before going Gold? Is that the last Beta and then it goes as A.OK? It's unleashed to the great unwashed? Sorry to be naive but I'm just starting in Linux speak.

Ta, Pete.
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Postby nelz » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:55 pm

A release candidate is more finished than a beta. While a beta is still a work in progress, a release candidate is "this is what we are going to release unless you can find some bugs before the release date". Of course, it is impossible to state which will be the last release candidate, because that would mean you knew which bugs existed and how easily you could fix them, in which case there'd be no need for a RC.

Gold refers to the release version.
"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." (Albert Einstein)
nelz
Site admin

Postby eastcoastdrifter » Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:04 pm

Thank you nelz,

I'll add it to my glossary. Also, thanks for your help re: downloading the updates. I'm reinstalling the network tomorrow, decided to leave updates and concentrate on using the OS/Command Line/Shell 'n' stuff
Looking forward to the Gold version.

Regards, Pete. :lol:
eastcoastdrifter
LXF regular

Return to Discussion